Healthy Cauliflower Crust Pizza

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on April 23, 2012

in Italian, pizza, South Beach Diet, vegetables, vegetarian

Many many moons ago, I saw a recipe on Janetha’s blog for a cauliflower crust pizza, and I remember thinking that it sounded delicious.

Then that whole bronchitis/asthma/hospital thing happened, and then the whole “being mindful about what I eat” thing went to crap. I recommitted to a healthy eating plan, and what better way to kick off the whole shebang than with a low-carb, gluten-free, veggie-filled cauliflower-crust pizza?

IMG_1637.jpg

I made two pizzas, so this recipe should probably be cut in half for people who only want to make one… or who have a person in their house with whom they can agree on toppings.

It certainly looked like pizza, and tasted remarkably like pizza with a cauliflower undertone, but unfortunately we couldn’t pick up the pieces like a regular pizza.

IMG_1642.jpg

It definitely hit the “pizza” spot though, and was satisfying in a different way than traditional pizza. I don’t feel gross and weighed down, but rather just not hungry. It’s rather nice.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

by What’s For Dinner?

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Keywords: bake entree low-carb gluten-free south beach diet cauliflower

Ingredients (2 pizzas)

• 1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
  • 8 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Instructions

Pre-heat the oven to 425°F

Place the raw cauliflower into the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until a fine “rice” forms. Don’t pulse too long or else you’ll puree it and it won’t work the same.

Transfer the cauliflower to a mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and mix well.

Press onto a greased pizza pan or cookie sheet (or both!) and bake until the edges are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.

Top as desired, then bake again until browned, another 20 minutes.

Allow to cool about 10 minutes before serving.

Powered by Recipage
IMG_1646.jpg
I really liked the idea of this dish, and I’ll be playing around with similar ideas soon… maybe a cauliflower-crust tamale pie? Cauliflower-crust tostadas? We’ll just have to see!
And as for that healthy eating and weight loss plan? You can follow my progress by clicking on the myfitnesspal.com icon over on the right. I’m starting at zero!
What would you put a cauliflower crust under?
(yes, i’m doing that “question at the end of a post” thing because, to be honest, I really miss the days of zillions of comments!)
xoxo
signature

DreamFilms786 April 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Awesome! I saw this post as SOON as you posted it. I was on your website and I was on the Recipes Page and then went back to home and saw it! First Comment :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM

You crack me up :) You better be studying your vocabulary!!

Dinner at Christina's April 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I totally understand what you mean about the being weighed down feeling. J absolutely loves pizza, and we have it at least once a week for him. But it always makes me feel so greasy, bloated, and “blah” after- even if I try and eat 1 or 2 small slices with a big salad.
Dinner at Christina’s´s last blog post ..Cereal and Yogurt Parfait (Giveaway Post)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 23, 2012 at 9:01 PM

You should seriously try this… I didn’t think Adam would like it, but he loved it!

quix April 23, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Oh man this looks GOOD! I saw a similar recipe on another site, thanks for the reminder to make it! I love pizza but I can’t eat it much, it takes WAY too much calories of pizza to fill me up…. sometimes I’ll make it on a low carb tortilla as well.
quix´s last blog post ..Zlitens Posty Post: Post 2

Crystal @ A Lovin' Forkful April 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I’ve seen these cauliflower crusts around a lot recently and I’ve been curious. This one you made looks delish! Thanks for sharing.
Crystal @ A Lovin’ Forkful´s last blog post ..Old Fashioned Pork Roast and Gravy ~ My Mama’s Recipe

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM

That’s how I feel too! I love the flavor combos, but I feel SO gross! This was definitely worth the effort :)

Sarah April 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Oooh, you could totally do a cauliflower topped shepherds pie! I’d been eyeing Janetha’s recipe as well!
Sarah´s last blog post ..Weekend Highlights

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 24, 2012 at 7:26 AM

I did one a while back http://www.imadedinner.net/2011/11/30/shepherds-pie-south-beach/ but both Adam and I were saying that this crust would be awesome on a shepherds pie!!

Jenn@slim-shoppin April 24, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I tried that before Mara and it didn’t turn out at all, so I never tried it again… Yours looks so good though!

Glad you are feeling better finally!
Jenn@slim-shoppin´s last blog post ..Rachel Ray’s roast chicken enchilada suizas stacked casserole

Amanda April 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Andy and I love making cauliflower pizza crusts. We haven’t done it in awhile since our kitchen is mostly packed up. I love topping it with jalapenos and pepperoni.
Amanda´s last blog post ..The SoCal Color Run

janetha @ meals & moves April 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM

WOW, yours is GORGEOUS!

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats April 24, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I’ve seen this dish as well – interesting! I recently tried a gluten free crust that is made with parm cheese, cream cheese, eggs and spices. Essentially the same as this crust, but with cream cheese and not cauliflower. Pretty good!
Ally’s Sweet & Savory Eats´s last blog post ..Strawberry Slab Pie

Donna D April 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Hm. Interesting.

We’ve recently gone gluten free at home as my husband was looking to manage some reactions he was getting from wheat. I have seen a quinoa crust before, and am going to try a gluten free flour based crust, but this is the first time I’ve seen cauliflower! Thanks for sharing this idea!
Donna D´s last blog post ..What’s in a Word?