I used to make white chicken chili all the freaking time.
It got to the point where I could make it without checking the recipe, it came out the same every single time, and thanks to that, I got really sick of it. Adam got sick of it. Heck, I think our fridge got sick of holding the leftovers.
When we grocery shopped this weekend, chicken breasts were on killer sale. Adam reminded me about white chicken chili, and I realized it had been a long time since I'd made a batch. One of my favorite things about any dish with stewed chicken is, obviously, the stewed chicken. It gets the way that only something cooked for a long time can get.
Of course, a dish that can be topped with sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream is good in my book, but one that can be made South Beach Diet friendly is even better. Extra beans, lean chicken, and low-sodium chicken broth made for a comforting and satisfying meal. The kick of cumin and cayenne pepper, along with jalapeños and tomatoes added texture, warmth, and everything necessary for a great dinner.
White Chicken Chili, 2012 Edition
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cans Great Northern beans (a.k.a. cannellini beans)
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapeños (like Ro-Tel), drained
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- sour cream and cheddar cheese for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add the garlic and onion and sautee until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add the chicken, beans, broth, and spices.
- Stir well, and lower the heat to medium.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Shred the chicken, return it to the pot, then simmer uncovered about 10 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and cheddar
- This can also be made in the crock pot! Just add all ingredients except oil, halve the liquid, and cook on low for 6-8 hours!
We both enjoyed every bite, and we're warm from the inside out.
Have a fantastic Thursday!