I’m a sucker for lemon desserts.
I love chocolate and caramel, but sometimes, nothing but a mouth-puckering lemon bar will do.
The love affair with lemon began at a young age when, at Poppin’ Fresh (then Bakers Square) I was introduced to the glory that is lemon meringue pie (even though I called it lemon syringe pie for the longest time). When I was 16 and began working as a barista at Starbucks, two of my favorite treats were the lemon knot cookies from a local bakery, and the lemon bars with about an inch of powdered sugar on top.
Yet, for some reason, I’ve only ever made lemon desserts a handful of times. The problem is that I’m a snot about them. I’m a strong believer in that a lemon dessert should only contain real lemon juice squeezed from real lemons, none of that bottled stuff, and definitely no lemon extract. At least, I thought that before today.
An impulse buy of lemon extract at the international market yesterday had me craving a lemon dessert, and while watching Breaking Dawn with Lizz this afternoon, I realized that I wanted to make lemon cookies. One has nothing to do with the other… Breaking Dawn and lemon cookies… though I will say: Breaking Dawn was better than all the other Twilight movies. But Twilight doesn’t hold a candle to any of the Harry Potter movies. Tangent over.
After a quick dinner of roast beef sandwiches on multigrain bread, I set to work in the kitchen to make a simple lemon cookie to bring to work tomorrow, since Adam claimed that he didn’t like lemon desserts.
Buttery Lemon Cookies
Ingredients (2 dozen cookies)
- 10 Tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce lemon extract
- raw sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add in 3 additions to the butter mixture.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon extract, mix well.
- Spoon onto a prepared cookie sheet about 2″ apart, as the cookies will spread.
- Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20-22 minutes.
Powered by Recipage