Are you sitting down?
This is going to be…
a RECIPE post!
I know, shocking.
Over the weekend when we had our pint-sized overnight visitor, she requested one thing as soon as she got in the car.
"Mara, when we get back to your house, after I say hi to the dogs, can we make that special macaroni and cheese?"
How could I say no to this face?
I think that's how she gets a lot of things… but I digress.
Since being diagnosed with Celiac disease, Skylar has begun to try all kinds of new foods, but she still has her very favorite: Macaroni and Cheese.
I came up with this recipe the last time she slept over, and it obviously left an impression. After a quick trip to the pool
I made a quick trip to the grocery store while Adam and Skylar played some video games and watched Strawberry Shortcake. I'll let you guess who did what.
After a little while, this showed up.
It was almost magical. One minute I had a pot of noodles and glop, and 10 minutes later, magic.
And by the way, this isn't the least bit healthy.
Skylar's Favorite Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb brown rice macaroni, cooked and kept hot
- 2-3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup half & half or cream
- 1/2 cup milk (more if needed)
- 12 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- In a saucepot, melt the butter until liquid and frothy, but not browned.
- Add the flour and mix until a thick paste forms, cooking until light brown.
- Add the milk and half & half and mix until smooth. Add more milk if the mixture isn't the texture of a thick pudding.
- Stir the cheeses in gradually, mixing after each addition until the cheese is incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper
- Pour the noodles into a 9"x13" pan, then top with the cheese sauce. Stir until noodles are coated, then top the whole thing with more parmesan.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
There's still a bit leftover in the fridge which I think will need to be dinner tomorrow… it's just that good.
Also good, the amazing sushi experience I had this evening with two good friends from camp. I work with some of the NICEST people!
Megan and Nikki trusted me to order them some deliciousness… I think I succeeded! That's Megan up there, trying her first roll with raw tuna in it. Delicious!
We're off to the zoo tomorrow, so be prepared for some seriously great numbers tomorrow! Last year's Zoo post is here. Enjoy!