That Blue for That Smile

Every girl knows the color.

That slightly green, mostly blue, usually inscribed with a little black name and tied with a little white ribbon.

201106061842.jpg

[source]

Ah yes, Tiffany & Company... the infamous color, home of breakfasts, bling, and truly untouchable luxuries. If you've ever received anything from Tiffany, you remember it. You probably remember where you were, what it was, who gave it to you, and most importantly, that it came in that iconic blue box.

When one of my very favorite children turned six years old this week (SERIOUSLY where did the time go?), I would've LOVED to be the person that gifted her a blue box. I mean, look at this smile, how can you say no to that?

IMG_1971

Like many girly 6-year-olds, she loves all things sparkly and beautiful, and is obsessed with being a beautiful princess. But, since everything at Tiffany costs an arm and a leg, I went with the next best thing for this amazing girl:

IMG_1921

Tiffany blue cupcakes.

IMG_1926

Again, just like last weekend, I went with Sweetapolita's dark chocolate cake (again, a total hit), and my favorite Italian meringue buttercream icing (Lizz and Skylar's favorite).

IMG_1927

I baked them in brilliant silver liners, piped perfect rosettes on top, and sprinkled little edible pearls all over as decoration. The color was achieved with a 4-1 ratio of Wilton gel coloring. 4 parts Sky Blue and 1 part Leaf Green.

IMG_1918

I looked all over for my cupcake stand, knowing that Lizz would want to display them when I arrived at Skylar's party. Lo and behold, Lizz HAD my cupcake stand from a Muffin Tin Monday post. And so, the cupcakes were properly displayed.

IMG_1991

And later, they were devoured. I don't know if there were any left over after the party ended, but I will say this one thing. I may not have been able to give Skylar her first Tiffany's box, but her first Tiffany blue elicited a similar reaction as if I'd given her a diamond tiara. Eyes wide, a sharp intake of breath, she smiled and said "ok, those I promise I will eat MORE than just the frosting. They're so pretty!"

Mission accomplished.

This entry was posted in Baking, friends and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to That Blue for That Smile

1. Just gorgeous, Mara! The color is spot on, and the silver liners just add that classic sparkle. Love these!
    Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well´s last blog post ..Recipe- Breakfast Burrito Pizza

2. Diana says:

Lovely color, you did such a nice job.

3. Sheri says:

Absolutely beautiful!

4. Julia says:

These are so cute! They’re the perfect color
    Julia´s last blog post ..Free Fruit Friday

5. Diana says:

What a lucky girl!? And you know I love that frosting color!! Beautiful job! 🙂

PS I don’t have anything from Tiffany’s. What’s up with that?! lol 😉
    Diana´s last blog post ..Dim Sum Yum &amp Vintage Fiestaware Finds

6. VeggieGirl says:

INCREDIBLE!!! Love the inspiration 🙂
    VeggieGirl´s last blog post ..You Have Questions Well I Have Answers

7. Miri Leigh says:

These are adorable! And better than a necklace, I think!
    Miri Leigh´s last blog post ..New Video- Restaurant Meals at Home

8. branny says:

I think Tiffany Cupcakes are great for a 6 year old’s birthday. Six years, after all, is so young for Tiffany and Co jewelry! (Or maybe I say that because I was 18 when I got my first piece)

9. mom says:

so much better than anything from that store.

10. Um, prettiest cupcakes ever. I will take one of those over jewelry any day!
    janetha @ meals & moves´s last blog post ..gay pride and running or not

11. Roz says:

Lucky, lucky Skylar! They’re beautiful. Have a great day Mara.
    Roz´s last blog post ..Cocktail Sunday 1

12. Skylar must’ve been thrilled! These look gorgeous! I was looking at Sweetapolita’s recipe, did you use the cocoa powder she recommends? Also, my kids love a little bit of a fruit flavor in the icing, have you added anything to the merengue recipe before?
    ~Nancy Lewis~

• I used Ghiradelli dark cocoa powder which is delicious, but I’m eager to try the one Rosie suggested. I’m going to order some soon. As for the icing, I’ve added fruit puree to it (just make sure it’s strained!) and had to up the butter content a bit to make sure it comes together. It works just wonderfully!

13. AWWW! Thanks again for making such amazing cupcakes for my kiddo’s big day. She had so much fun, and loved munching on some yummy cupcakes. And I agree with the other lovely ladies. I think your cupcakes are better than anything Tiffany and Co can offer!

14. How pretty! Who could resist those? I bet they tasted just as delicious as they look.

15. Heather says:

These are really pretty! I love pretty cupcakes.