Guest Post: Easy Peanut Butter Granola Bars.

by HowSweetJessica on May 12, 2011

in guest post

Hi friends!

Jessica from How Sweet It Is here today… to share one of my favorite granola bar recipes! It’s tough to find a store-bought granola bar that I love these days, so I often take upon the task of making them myself. These are so super simple – with just 4 or 5 ingredients as your base.

My favorite thing about granola bars is how easily customizable they are. I’ve added everything from dried cherries to candied pecans to bacon to banana chips.

Below is my favorite granola bar starter.

5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars

makes 12-16 granola squares

4 cups rolled oats

2 tablespoons chia seeds (these are optional, I just love the texture they give)

1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped

3/4 cup natural peanut butter, melted

1/2 cup brown rice syrup (honey works too!)

Preheat over to 350.

In a large bowl, combine oats, chia seeds and peanuts. Add brown rice syrup (or honey) and mix to combine. Add melted peanut butter and mix until moistened. This works as a perfect, simple granola bar, but you can also throw in any add-ins at this time. Fold them into the dough. You may need to get in there with your hands and work the granola dough! If dough is still too dry (this can depend on your ingredients) add more peanut butter or syrup (or honey) 1 tablespoon at a time until moistened.

Press dough in a greased (non-stick spray) 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.

These would also work as a great no-bake granola bar, but I liked how they came together and the chocolate chips melted as they got warm. If you want to make no-bakes, simply press the dough into the pan and refrigerate for 60 minutes.

with optional add-ins:

chocolate chips

wheat germ

flaxseed

dried fruit (cherries!)

additional nuts

seeds

coconut

And enjoy!

What is your favorite granola bar add-in?

Erica May 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Book marked! This will be my next set of bars for sure. Favorite add in? Seeds! Sesame, sunflower, pumpkin, flax!
Erica´s last blog post ..Chocolate Coconut Oat Granola Bars

VeggieGirl May 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I love chocolate chips in my granola bars!
VeggieGirl´s last blog post ..VeggieGirl-Suave Slav TV

Kirsten May 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM

These look simply divine!

Sahar May 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I’m assuming I could swap almonds and almond butter for the peanuts – can’t wait to try this!

Mabella May 14, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I was so excited to try these today. However, they didn’t work for me at all. The bars crumbled immediately. They do not hold together at all, and I now have a pile of granola. I think the instructions could use a little more detail. How dry is “too dry” when mixing together? I think that was my problem, but there really is no guidance here. Maybe a picture of the perfectly “moistened” mixture would be useful.

Also, what is the best way to melt the peanut butter? If by microwave, for how long? I microwaved the first bit, which went fine. But then I microwaved some more (when the mixture did seem too dry), and all the moisture evaporated out–it burnt and wasted a bunch of peanut butter. Again, some guidance would have helped. Some of us are total newbies. :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I’ll forward your comment on to Jessica and hopefully she can help you out!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Hi Mabella!
Sorry to hear the bars didn’t work out. There are some additional pictures/comments here that may help you out: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/01/5-ingredient-peanut-butter-granola-bars/.

When I melt the peanut butter, I usually do it by 20-30 second increments in the microwave. There is really no *set* time to melt it because each nut butter differs in ingredients/oils. Did the batter seem to stick together before baking? You may need to add a little more peanut butter or even honey next time – some times certain brands of oats can be too dry or even nut butters do not have enough moisture depending on the brand. If you try them again I would add a bit more honey (maybe 1-2 tbsp?) and let them cool completely before cutting!
Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog post ..Margaritas on the Rocks