ABC Bread

I’m not a beer drinker.

I really don’t like it all that much.

That is, unless it’s super cold, served in a plastic cup, while I’m at a Cubs game. Really, that’s the only time I’ll drink beer to drink beer. It’s a requirement of being a Cubs fan, but that’s a whole other post.

However, I have absolutely no problem cooking with beer. There’s something about the bitterness and bite of a good ale that can lend something incomparable to a stew or chili, and a bit of stout cooked with corned beef makes for an amazing meal.

But, there’s one recipe that will always call for beer, no matter what. That recipe is cheddar fondue. Cheddar fondue is one of the first things that I cooked for Adam, and no matter how many times I try to make another type of fondue, I always come back to cheddar. With the beer.

What is up with all my talk about beer? Well, FoodBuzz, my lovely sponsor, offered me an opportunity to come up with a recipe that features or pairs with New Belgium Beer, and I jumped at the opportunity! So, you’d think I’d make fondue.

You’re wrong. However, you’re kind of on the right track…

That my friends, is New Belgium Trippel Belgian Style Ale, which is brewed with coriander (or cilantro, depending on where you’re from).

In lieu of fondue, since that’s really a winter thing, ABC Bread was born. Apple Beer Cheddar Bread. (Not to be confused with ABC gum. Remember that from second grade? Already Been Chewed?)

The first step to any good bread is a good dough.

Whole Wheat Beer Bread Dough

Ingredients

• 12 oz New Belgium Trippel Ale
  • 1 Tb. active dry yeast
  • 1 Tb. white sugar
  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 Tb. corn oil
  • 1 1/2 Tb. kosher salt
  • 1 whole egg

Directions

In a small saucepan, heat the beer to about 110*F. It should just barely feel warm. Transfer the beer to the bowl of a stand mixer.

Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the beer. Allow to proof about 10 minutes.

Stir in the white flour until a sticky paste forms.

Fit the mixer with the dough hook and mix in the egg and oil.

Gradually add the whole wheat flour until a smooth and slightly sticky dough forms.

Add the salt.

Knead about 10 minutes, then transfer to a well-oiled bowl and allow it to rise about an hour. It will not double in size, but it will rise slightly.

Continue with the steps for ABC bread, or simply transfer to a loaf pan, allow to rise another 30 minutes, then bake at 350* for about 45 minutes.

Slice the tart apples thinly.

Transfer your bread dough to a well-floured piece of wax paper. The dough will be sticky! Roll the dough out to about 3/4″ thickness.

Arrange the sliced apples on the rolled-out dough. Eat the remaining slices. Well, make sure to save a few.

Sprinkle the grated cheddar on top of the apples. Save 1/4 c. of the cheese. Devour the extra cheese. Maybe with the extra apples.

Roll the dough from end to end and plop it into a loaf pan.

Top the loaf with the reserved cheese and apple slices.

Bake at 350* for about an hour. It seems like too long, but trust me.

Remove from the oven.

Remove the loaf from the loaf pan…carefully. There may be hot cheese and oil in the pan that can burn you. Not that I know anything about that…

Slice and enjoy!

I’m really proud of this actually… it’s like amazing fondue in one perfect bite. Or five. Or twenty…

Thank you FoodBuzz and New Belgium Brewing Company for the opportunity to create a delicious recipe with your beer!

So, in true blogger style, I leave you with a question:

Are you a beer drinker or would you rather cook with it?

xoxo

signature

This entry was posted in Baking, bread, vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to ABC Bread

1. glidingcalm says:

oh me oh my!!!!!

how gorgeoussssssssssss!
    glidingcalm´s last blog post ..Bargain Hunter

2. Oh wow, this not only sounds great, but it looks amazing!!
    I am a beer drinker, but it also depends on my mood. Sometimes I’m more of a wine drinker…however, with the warmer months ahead, there’s nothin’ like a crisp, cold beer while sitting outside. :)
    Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life´s last blog post ..Return to Morning Routines

3. i don’t drink beer, but beer bread is one of my favorites…and this is the most outstanding beer bread i’ve ever seen!! MUST MAKE.

4. Krystal R. says:

I’m the same way with beer, I rather not drink it and just eat it in something. My husband actually drinks this one, so this might be a sneaky way for me to use some of the bottles! hehe.

5. Cassie says:

This looks great! Good choice on the beer too. Trippel is one of my favorites.
    Cassie´s last blog post ..Flourless Chocolate Cake

6. Roz says:

Oh my goodness Mara!!!! I would NEVER have thought to make that!!! But wow! I’ve bookmarked!!! Have a great day.
    Roz´s last blog post ..Ten days FLEW by!!!

7. Amanda says:

I’m starting to like beer a lot more but most of the time, I’d rather cook with it. This bread looks delicious. Apples and cheese pair together perfectly!
    Amanda´s last blog post ..Wedding Flashback Post- The Readings

8. Christina says:

Not a beer drinker, but I would cook with it. Although since I’m not a drinker we don’t usually have it around, so I usually only have it in food if we eat out.

This is GENIUS!!!! Such an awesome idea to turn fondue into a savory bread. I’ve got to try this, I love the apples in there and apples + sharp cheddar = heaven!
    Christina´s last blog post ..Pan Can Fundraiser

9. Lizz says:

You know how much I love to cook with beer. The possibilites are endless!
    This…Is freaking amazing looking!! I am drooling all over my desk. Might need to try this one!

10. Cook with it… 100% sure ;)

“See, when I make fondue, I reduce two bottles of beer down to about the volume of one. Then I add garlic, mustard, salt, and a ton of really really really sharp cheddar cheese. It’s best eaten with hearty bread and apples. Tart apples. Granny smith apples… much like these.” – I need to try this !! Sounds like heaven.
    Mary (What’s Cookin’ with Mary)´s last blog post ..A Not So Wordless Monday

11. Biz says:

First of all, you had me at cheese! :D And yes, I love beer – all kinds. When Tony and I go to places that have like 50 beers on tap I am like a kid in a candy store – except Tony always gets a Miller Lite – really? No amount of convincing will have him try a different beer! :D

And I’ll continue to ignore the fact that you are a Cubs fan! :D

12. I haven’t had a drink in 3 1/2 years, but I’m not opposed to eating foods that have been cooked with it! :)
    Christin@purplebirdblog´s last blog post ..WIAW- Birthday Edition

13. Taves says:

Ah, New Belgium doesn’t distribute to the East Coast….I guess I’ll have to find an acceptable substitute.

14. That is one nice looking bread with those big swirls of melted cheese!

15. David Ivey says:

That’s a must try recipe! It doesn’t really matter if you don’t’ generally like to drink beer. After all, beer is considered a food by many people. Being made from grains, water, and yeast like many breads are. So instead, you can eat beer – and with great recipes like this – we can too! Thanks for the share.

Cheers,

David Ivey
    BlackBucketBrew.com Inbox Magazine Editor

PS. Check out our free e-book and beer mag.
    David Ivey´s last blog post ..High Sierra Pale Ale

16. Srene says:

Made the recipe but changed it to Winesap apples,buckwheat flour and mozzarella cheese,simply because that is what I had.Will post and let you know how ot turned out,lol! :)