ABC Bread

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on April 26, 2011

in Baking, bread, vegetarian

I’m not a beer drinker.

I really don’t like it all that much.

That is, unless it’s super cold, served in a plastic cup, while I’m at a Cubs game. Really, that’s the only time I’ll drink beer to drink beer. It’s a requirement of being a Cubs fan, but that’s a whole other post.

However, I have absolutely no problem cooking with beer. There’s something about the bitterness and bite of a good ale that can lend something incomparable to a stew or chili, and a bit of stout cooked with corned beef makes for an amazing meal.

But, there’s one recipe that will always call for beer, no matter what. That recipe is cheddar fondue. Cheddar fondue is one of the first things that I cooked for Adam, and no matter how many times I try to make another type of fondue, I always come back to cheddar. With the beer.

What is up with all my talk about beer? Well, FoodBuzz, my lovely sponsor, offered me an opportunity to come up with a recipe that features or pairs with New Belgium Beer, and I jumped at the opportunity! So, you’d think I’d make fondue.

You’re wrong. However, you’re kind of on the right track…

That my friends, is New Belgium Trippel Belgian Style Ale, which is brewed with coriander (or cilantro, depending on where you’re from).

In lieu of fondue, since that’s really a winter thing, ABC Bread was born. Apple Beer Cheddar Bread. (Not to be confused with ABC gum. Remember that from second grade? Already Been Chewed?)

The first step to any good bread is a good dough.

Whole Wheat Beer Bread Dough

Ingredients

• 12 oz New Belgium Trippel Ale
  • 1 Tb. active dry yeast
  • 1 Tb. white sugar
  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 Tb. corn oil
  • 1 1/2 Tb. kosher salt
  • 1 whole egg

Directions

In a small saucepan, heat the beer to about 110*F. It should just barely feel warm. Transfer the beer to the bowl of a stand mixer.

Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the beer. Allow to proof about 10 minutes.

Stir in the white flour until a sticky paste forms.

Fit the mixer with the dough hook and mix in the egg and oil.

Gradually add the whole wheat flour until a smooth and slightly sticky dough forms.

Add the salt.

Knead about 10 minutes, then transfer to a well-oiled bowl and allow it to rise about an hour. It will not double in size, but it will rise slightly.

Continue with the steps for ABC bread, or simply transfer to a loaf pan, allow to rise another 30 minutes, then bake at 350* for about 45 minutes.

Slice the tart apples thinly.

Transfer your bread dough to a well-floured piece of wax paper. The dough will be sticky! Roll the dough out to about 3/4″ thickness.

Arrange the sliced apples on the rolled-out dough. Eat the remaining slices. Well, make sure to save a few.

Sprinkle the grated cheddar on top of the apples. Save 1/4 c. of the cheese. Devour the extra cheese. Maybe with the extra apples.

Roll the dough from end to end and plop it into a loaf pan.

Top the loaf with the reserved cheese and apple slices.

Bake at 350* for about an hour. It seems like too long, but trust me.

Remove from the oven.

Remove the loaf from the loaf pan…carefully. There may be hot cheese and oil in the pan that can burn you. Not that I know anything about that…

Slice and enjoy!

I’m really proud of this actually… it’s like amazing fondue in one perfect bite. Or five. Or twenty…

Thank you FoodBuzz and New Belgium Brewing Company for the opportunity to create a delicious recipe with your beer!

So, in true blogger style, I leave you with a question:

Are you a beer drinker or would you rather cook with it?

xoxo

signature

glidingcalm April 26, 2011 at 9:16 AM

oh me oh my!!!!!

how gorgeoussssssssssss!
glidingcalm´s last blog post ..Bargain Hunter

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life April 26, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Oh wow, this not only sounds great, but it looks amazing!!
I am a beer drinker, but it also depends on my mood. Sometimes I’m more of a wine drinker…however, with the warmer months ahead, there’s nothin’ like a crisp, cold beer while sitting outside. :)
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life´s last blog post ..Return to Morning Routines

natalie (the sweets life) April 26, 2011 at 9:36 AM

i don’t drink beer, but beer bread is one of my favorites…and this is the most outstanding beer bread i’ve ever seen!! MUST MAKE.

Krystal R. April 26, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I’m the same way with beer, I rather not drink it and just eat it in something. My husband actually drinks this one, so this might be a sneaky way for me to use some of the bottles! hehe.

Cassie April 26, 2011 at 10:45 AM

This looks great! Good choice on the beer too. Trippel is one of my favorites.
Cassie´s last blog post ..Flourless Chocolate Cake

Roz April 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Oh my goodness Mara!!!! I would NEVER have thought to make that!!! But wow! I’ve bookmarked!!! Have a great day.
Roz´s last blog post ..Ten days FLEW by!!!

Amanda April 26, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I’m starting to like beer a lot more but most of the time, I’d rather cook with it. This bread looks delicious. Apples and cheese pair together perfectly!
Amanda´s last blog post ..Wedding Flashback Post- The Readings

Christina April 26, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Not a beer drinker, but I would cook with it. Although since I’m not a drinker we don’t usually have it around, so I usually only have it in food if we eat out.

This is GENIUS!!!! Such an awesome idea to turn fondue into a savory bread. I’ve got to try this, I love the apples in there and apples + sharp cheddar = heaven!
Christina´s last blog post ..Pan Can Fundraiser

Lizz April 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM

You know how much I love to cook with beer. The possibilites are endless!
This…Is freaking amazing looking!! I am drooling all over my desk. Might need to try this one!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 26, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Cook with it… 100% sure ;)

“See, when I make fondue, I reduce two bottles of beer down to about the volume of one. Then I add garlic, mustard, salt, and a ton of really really really sharp cheddar cheese. It’s best eaten with hearty bread and apples. Tart apples. Granny smith apples… much like these.” – I need to try this !! Sounds like heaven.
Mary (What’s Cookin’ with Mary)´s last blog post ..A Not So Wordless Monday

Biz April 27, 2011 at 7:31 AM

First of all, you had me at cheese! :D And yes, I love beer – all kinds. When Tony and I go to places that have like 50 beers on tap I am like a kid in a candy store – except Tony always gets a Miller Lite – really? No amount of convincing will have him try a different beer! :D

And I’ll continue to ignore the fact that you are a Cubs fan! :D

Christin@purplebirdblog April 28, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I haven’t had a drink in 3 1/2 years, but I’m not opposed to eating foods that have been cooked with it! :)
Christin@purplebirdblog´s last blog post ..WIAW- Birthday Edition

Taves April 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Ah, New Belgium doesn’t distribute to the East Coast….I guess I’ll have to find an acceptable substitute.

Kevin (Closet Cooking) May 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM

That is one nice looking bread with those big swirls of melted cheese!

David Ivey March 31, 2012 at 4:33 AM

That’s a must try recipe! It doesn’t really matter if you don’t’ generally like to drink beer. After all, beer is considered a food by many people. Being made from grains, water, and yeast like many breads are. So instead, you can eat beer – and with great recipes like this – we can too! Thanks for the share.

Cheers,

David Ivey
BlackBucketBrew.com Inbox Magazine Editor

PS. Check out our free e-book and beer mag.
David Ivey´s last blog post ..High Sierra Pale Ale

Srene March 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Made the recipe but changed it to Winesap apples,buckwheat flour and mozzarella cheese,simply because that is what I had.Will post and let you know how ot turned out,lol! :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Sounds delicious!!!

Srene April 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Turned out pretty good but will use more white flour next time and the cheddar and granny smiths you recommend! :)