Make It Yourself

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on March 27, 2011

in Italian, simple recipe, vegetarian

I need you to use your imagination for a little while here. Are you ready?

imagine

Imagine you’re a teacher. Not just any teacher, but a teacher for a class that isn’t state-tested, and is considered a “fun” class by the students. Now imagine that it’s the day before Spring break. Imagine that over a third of your students are going somewhere tropical and warm. And now imagine that, instead of the lower-50s weather you’re supposed to be able to enjoy at the end of March, you’ve got 28-degree temperatures, ice, and snow.

Think your students are a little antsy?

Imagine that all you want to do after work (which, by the way, has given you a terribly upset stomach) is go home and nap, and then have a delicious dinner.

Imagine (and this isn’t hard to do) that after said nap, you don’t want to leave the house. And, imagine that you have a big bowl of Peasto just begging to be used.

Are you there?

This was my Friday. I wanted pasta, and I wanted the rest of the Peasto, but alas… there was no pasta in the house. We also had a newly-professionally-cleaned counter (and the rest of the house, but the counter is what’s important here) so I embarked on a mission.

Make homemade pasta. And make it I did!

I started with a very simple recipe I found on SugarLaws. And I made it 1/3 bigger. So my ingredients:

• 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 eggs
  • salt
  • water as needed

I mixed the flour, eggs, and salt in my stand mixer, added water until a smooth ball formed, and then removed it to my floured counter. And I rolled it. And let it rest. And rolled it some more. And let it rest. And then I had, besides a no-longer clean counter, this:

And then, as per instructions, I rolled the dough up into a cigar shape so I could neatly slice it into ribbon shapes.

Which didn’t work. Either my knife wasn’t sharp enough, or the dough was too sticky, or something, but it didn’t work. So I rolled it all back into a sheet, and then transfered it in sections to a cutting board, and then sliced it (per Adam’s suggestion) with our pizza cutter.

Lovely, albeit a little uneven, fettucini noodles!

After a quick (really, about 3 minutes) boil in salted water with a tablespoon of olive oil, and a generous bath of Peasto, dinner was served.

The pasta had that perfect texture that only fresh pasta can have, and there really is something to eating something that took a lot of effort to make. I had hesitated making plain noodles for a while, even though I’d made filled pastas before, but now? Now I’ll be doing this more often. It was easy, and there were enough leftovers for a Saturday lunch. Or midnight snack.

Nutritionally, this was a PointsPlus bargain, and was satisfying enough that one serving was a great dinner.

Now, my professional advice? Say “screw it” to this confused weather, and spend your Sunday making homemade pasta!

xoxo

signature

VeggieGirl March 27, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Can’t beat homemade! Love this.
VeggieGirl´s last blog post ..Fashionable Friends

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat March 27, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Impressive! What a tasty dinner. I am going to have to give homemade pasta a shot!
Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat´s last blog post ..Chocolate Caramel Matzah Crunch

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 27, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I think it’s extraordinary that you could come home after a tiring day and make homemade pasta. That’s incredible! And it looks fantastic. I’ve never made homemade pasta, but I really want to now!

Jenn@slim-shoppin March 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I know Mara – I am so sick of it being cold here! WTH??

Your homemade pasta looks yummy. I’ve only made one attempt and it was a LONG time ago and didn’t come out so stellar…

I’ve always thought if you just have flour, water, eggs and butter you could pretty much survive forever… pancakes, cake, bread, pasta, muffins, scones, tortillas, dumpling dough, etc…

Have an awesome spring break! I’m not going anywhere warm either :(
Jenn@slim-shoppin´s last blog post ..Home made pitas!

Simply Life March 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM

wow! this is so impressive and refreshing to see that you didn’t need a pasta maker! nice work!
Simply Life´s last blog post ..Whole Wheat Breadsticks

Lauren March 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I’ve made homemade pasta one time in my life and it was so laborious but so worth it. This looks fantastic!
Lauren´s last blog post ..Nice Little Saturday

Rhonda March 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I have made pasta with a pasta machine but never by hand. It is on my list of to dos. I loved that you used whole wheat flour.
Rhonda´s last blog post ..Mini Pizzatizers

fittingbackin March 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

That is awesome I’ve never made my own – but i’m fascinated by it!
fittingbackin´s last blog post ..New Flipflops- Would You Rather- New Meatless Pasta Recipe

Shannon March 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM

These photos are great! I need to make homemade pasta, it’s on my must-do list!
Shannon´s last blog post ..It’s Good to Go Home

Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 27, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Thanks Shannon! It’s so much easier than I thought it would be! You’ve got to give it a try :)

Christina March 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM

So pretty! I like Adam’s idea better than the tube anyways!
Christina´s last blog post ..Friday Firsts – Breakfast Nachos

Melissa @ TryingToHeal March 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM

dude….that is a freak’n awesome dinner!!! yay for making homemade noodles!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal´s last blog post ..Its Time!!!

Roz March 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM

You are amazing!!!!! I bow at your pasta makin’ feet! Have a great day Mara
Roz´s last blog post ..Is it really prickly

Biz March 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM

It didn’t work for me either the last time I made homemade pasta, so I used my pizza cutter too – tedious – yep! Delicious – yep!!
Biz´s last blog post ..Rocco DiSpirito’s Now Eat This Diet Book Giveaway

Kelly Wilson March 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I ran this pasta recipe through nutritiondata.self.com. It is quiet nutritious even if it is a little high in carbs.

Whole Wheat Pasta Nutrition Facts
Amount per Serving 1/3 of recipe (184g)
Calories 423 Calories from Fat 19
Total Fat 2g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 449mg
Total Carbohydrate 87g
Dietary Fiber 15g
Sugars 1g
Protein 20g

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

For more nutrition information: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/2057840/2

Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 28, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Thanks Kelly! I generally go with the weight watch points plus for fresh whole wheat pasta, but I’m sure this will be helpful!

heather March 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM

We make quite a bit of our own pasta, but haven’t yet mustered the courage to make whole wheat. I will definitely try this soon, because store-bought ww pastas leave a lot to be desired… or some cases, less to be desired in terms of chewiness and a grit feel! Nice work — I bet the family had great things to say of your success!

Cheers,

*Heather*
heather´s last blog post ..lucky loopholes orange fig bars

Alex March 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

That looks delicious! I’m living in China, where rice is omnipresent, but good noodles are a little harder to find. I might be making this soon!