Snow Day Rollin’

It was the phone call students (and teachers) around the country live for. As I left school yesterday, the caller ID flashed with my district’s phone number, and the recording said “Due to severe winter weather conditions, all schools in our district will be closed on Wednesday, February 2.”

I believe the first word out of my mouth was “WOOT!!!!!!”

Then I thought “CRAP! I ran out of flour yesterday!”

So, on my way home, before the storm hit, I stopped at the grocery store for supplies. No, not light bulbs, batteries, and other standards. For me, it was flour, butter, milk, eggs, sugar, and cream cheese. I was on a mission.

As the storm blew in, I filmed a little bit of it:

That stuff that looks like smoke? Yeah, that was snow… later that night there was thundersnow, which was bizarre in itself! By early this afternoon, it was evident exactly how much snow we’d gotten:
What you can’t see is that the fire hydrant is completely covered, and at the end of our street, the pole holding up the stop sign is all but covered too! The stop sign is just sticking out of a mound of snow! Though, no one is really driving much…
Onto my mission for the day. After I woke up from a much-needed 10-hour sleep, having a cup of coffee, and watching a few episodes of old Top Chef, I got to it. What is “it”?
I started with a great recipe for brioche dough from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I substituted the water for warm milk for a richer final product, and let it rise slowly in my slightly cold kitchen. If you’ve never made brioche, I highly suggest this recipe as it’s very simple to make and produces a perfect final product! But I wasn’t done at brioche. If I was, there would’ve been pictures already!
While the dough chilled after its rise, I mixed together a few delicious ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 3 Tb. good cinnamon
  • 1/4 stick softened butter

Any ideas yet?

I rolled out the brioche dough until it covered nearly half of my very long counter, and then slathered one side of it with even more butter. Yes really, you can close your mouth now ­čÖé

I cut it into two sections and rolled them up separately. Why two sections?

One was to do this:

And the other was to do this:

Then they rose again. They got gloriously poufy, and then I baked them at 325*F for about 20 minutes for the cupcakes and 30 minutes for the full-sized rolls. While they baked, I made some icing.

What, you thought I was done with just the cinnamon rolls? NO WAY!!!

I whisked together:

• 1 brick (8 oz.) cream cheese
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract (homemade stuff from CandidRD!)

Is your mouth closed after gaping at the amount of butter? It better be, because your jaw will drop again in

3….

2….

1….

(check out the gorgeous Sutton Gourmet paper liners!)

IMG_9419-2

And, of course there were the full-sized rolls as well:

Let’s look at this beauty from another angle, shall we?

My mom and David stopped by to drop Stella off for a weekend at our house. Just look how cute the dogs are together!

puppies

While they were here I insisted that they have a cinnamon roll each. My mom is a true cinnamon roll connoisseur, and always attacks the middle of the roll first. David ate his from the outside in. They both agreed that they were FANTASTIC cinnamon rolls!

I truly think what makes them so good is that the bread part of the roll isn’t sickeningly sweet. It’s rich and flaky, but not terribly sweet. The filling is brown-sugar sweet, and the frosting is just decadent. It’s truly a perfect combination.

I’m a little nervous about having SO many of them in the house… I guess they’ll freeze well, or worst case, they’ll be our food for tomorrow.

Oh yeah. Tomorrow’s another snow day!!

Now… what shall I make tomorrow? Suggestions?

xoxo.jpg

signature.jpg

This entry was posted in Baking, dessert, family, vegetarian, video and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Snow Day Rollin’

1. I love snow day baking! It’s my favorite kind!
    Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish)┬┤s last blog post ..The One With What About Lunch Vol 1

2. Britney says:

How about an Alfredo sauce or a layered chocolate/strawberry cake?

Also yay for snow days!

3. Lauren says:

Oh I’m sorry, I think I just died and gone to heaven! ­čÖé
    Lauren┬┤s last blog post ..Spontaneous Saturday

4. Wendy says:

Those pictures are amazing! Whatever you make tomorrow, can it make me drool as much as the pictures from today? It will be hard to do!

5. VeggieGirl says:

Tomorrow = make a Phish Food ice cream cake ­čśë

6. those look DELIGHTFUL. wish i had one right now!
    Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean┬┤s last blog post ..Indian Turkey &amp Lentils

7. Alicia says:

cinnamon buns are the way into my heart! they look amazing!!
    Alicia┬┤s last blog post ..Sheer Bliss

8. Genius! Beautiful and delisssh!
    Blog is the New Black┬┤s last blog post ..Online Bake Sale

9. Christina says:

I just put some pics up of our blizzard crap! haha Those rolls look so beautiful! I never knew you could bake them in the wrapper like that, individually! I love it!
    Christina┬┤s last blog post ..NY Eats &amp Blizzard

10. Wowy zowy! Those look to. die. for! We might actually get some snow here in Austin, TX! I may have to do some snow baking too! ­čÖé
    Christin@purplebirdblog┬┤s last blog post ..What I Ate Wednesday

11. Roz says:

Yum. Can’t wait to see what you create on the next snow day today!!!
    Roz┬┤s last blog post ..New Word Wednesday 25

12. Sagan says:

Best way ever to spend a snow day! Your cinnamon buns look absolutely amazing. The little mini ones are so cute!!
    Sagan┬┤s last blog post ..31 ways to get fit and have fun

13. MarathonVal says:

Hope you enjoyed your snow days! I know I did…. and I’m quite certain CPS won’t have any more snow days until I’m retired!
    MarathonVal┬┤s last blog post ..Sundried Tomato Spaghetti Squash and a Snow Day Vlog

14. Biz says:

You and I are like too peas in a pod – before coming home I asked Hannah to check to make sure I had yeast and flour!

My husband’s list? Vodka and beer! Hey, we all have our priorities! ­čśÇ
    Biz┬┤s last blog post ..Italian Pot Roast and shoveling is great exercise!

15. omg i want a snow day so i can bake like you now!!!! those.look.DELICIOUS!!!!!
    Melissa @ TryingToHeal┬┤s last blog post ..A Weighty Game

16. CampingGirl says:

The cinnamon rolls look so amazing!!
    Our school board doesn’t close schools no matter how bad the weather is. Teachers are expected to be at school and if they can’t physically make it they are required to go to the closest school to them and stay there for the day. Good times!
    CampingGirl┬┤s last blog post ..Crazy Plates- The Wicked Sandwich of the West

17. Loving these snow days too! It amounts to a 6 day weekend. So far I’ve made cherry tapioca, Nutella Mallow Hearts, Cherry Almond Angel Cupcakes and Chocolate Lava Cakes. Schew! Sugar overload ­čÖé
    Amy at TheSceneFromMe┬┤s last blog post ..Luscious Lemon Pudding Cake Cups

18. sophia says:

So I heard you guys got 18 inches of snow. Wheee!!!

You should make Sally Lunn cake. And beef bourguignon…and white bean cassoulet! ­čÖé

All that snow back east is crazy! We keep seeing images of it on TV, and it looks insane. And to think, we’re complaining about the cold temperatures here, even though we have sunshine! Hope you fully enjoy all of your snow days and get in some good baking ­čÖé
    Marianne┬┤s last blog post ..The Best Homework

20. the teachers in st louis got THREE snow days this week—they’ve had 7 or 8 this winter. Crazy!!!! Glad you got to enjoy your snow day—those cinnamon rolls have me drooling ­čÖé

21. Cinnamon buns are truly worth every single bite ­čÖé
    Tracy @ Commit to Fit┬┤s last blog post ..Vegan for a Week Challenge

22. Rhonda says:

Unbelievable snow weather. Here in Montana we are used to snow, but I have to admit, we get it over time….rarely a drop like that. I think you made the best of it! Something baked and cinnamon…very comforting…perfect for a snow day!
    Rhonda┬┤s last blog post ..North Carolina Pulled Pork

23. irma says:

por favor se ven muy rico pero me gustar├şa la receta bien explicada con medidas exactas y tiempo en el horno gracias.
    Una historia interesante muy bonita y que gracias a ese tiempo frio se hizo estas cupcakes pero insisti├│ soy principiantes y si quiero aprender hacer estos cupcakes