Close Encounters

Not too long ago, I had a close encounter of the cheesy kind. I originally wrote this for Gina’s blog, but since I’m sure there are many of you who didn’t see it, I’m reposting it here for you today.

I made goat cheese.

I now have a jar of fresh, homemade, local-dairy goat cheese full of organic chopped basil in my fridge that I wish I could ship to each and every one of you, but alas, I can’t. But sharing the process and product photos with you is something I can do!

Don’t be scared… it’s really no more difficult than a pot of stovetop oats!

Step 1: Procure pasteurized goat’s milk. Not ultra-pasteurized, just plain old regular pasteurized.

goat milk

Step 2:

strainer

Step 3: Heat 2 to 3 quarts of goat milk over a medium flame until it reaches 180*Fahrenheit.

Step 4: While the milk heats…

lemonjuice

Step 5: When the milk reaches 180*Fahrenheit, add the lemon juice. Allow it to sit until curds form, about 40 seconds to a minute.

Step 6:

curds

colander

Step 7: Wait. Then wait some more. Then wait a bit more… I waited about 4 hours. Avoid the temptation to put the cheese-in-training in the fridge. The warmer air in the house is good for it!

Step 8: Scrape the cheese into a bowl.

Step 9:

herbs

Step 10:

crackers

Step 11:

finished

So there you have it. Homemade goat cheese (about 10 ounces worth!) for $6 and about 4 hours. It’s easy, it’s fun, and it made me feel oddly, what’s the word… resourceful.

You’ve gotta try this… and let me know how it goes!

xoxo.jpg

signature.jpg

This entry was posted in random, simple recipe, vegetarian and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Close Encounters

1. This looks interesting. I sometimes have success with goat milk so I might have to try this. If not it will make great gifts :-)

2. Wow! You never cease to amaze. :)
    Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat)´s last blog post ..1382…and a GIVEAWAY!

3. VeggieGirl says:

Mmmm, I hope to encounter that goat cheese.
    VeggieGirl´s last blog post ..Blondies x 2

4. Monica says:

Definitely didn’t realize how easy it was to make this. I’m gonna have to try it!

5. Mads says:

Love it. Making cheese from scratch is terrifying, mostly because every recipe I’ve seen involves cheese cloth. I have no idea what cheese cloth is or how to get a hold of the stuff. Coffee filters I can do.
    Thanks!
    Mads´s last blog post ..Replanting our little herbs

6. Jessica says:

I LOVE goat cheese. Can’t wait to try this… Thanks for sharing!
    Jessica´s last blog post ..BBQ Chicken Pizza

7. Jackie says:

I’ve been wanting to make my own cheese for a while now, it looks sooo easy delicious. I’m going to experiment and get back to you on this.

Jax x

8. Roz says:

OMG, that’s awesome! My husband and I LOVE goat cheese….I’ll have to try it! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
    Roz´s last blog post ..Annual Traditions

Hmmm, probably some of the easiest cheese to make. I may have to give it a go one day. I know we sell goat’s milk :)
    Marianne´s last blog post ..How About A Tart