How We Spent Our First Anniversary

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on December 1, 2010

in dessert, dinner out, family, travel

I won’t go into TOO much detail, but Adam and I had a wonderful first anniversary! We spent the day and night in Milwaukee at the fancy (and totally green!) Metro Hotel. It was very chic and retro-styled with deco accents… and being the bad blogger I am I didn’t take any pictures of the room. Sorry Tina!

After checking in, we went for luxurious hour-long massages at the Karma Spa. My massage therapist found knots in my back I didn’t know I had, and I’m happy to say that I’m still feeling the results. While I didn’t take pictures there either, I did, however, manage to take pictures of our lovely (albeit early) dinner at the Metro Cafe located in the hotel. Thanks to some very generous people, we were able to truly feast and enjoy ourselves.

The restaurant was gorgeous, and the booths were actual couches!

I started with a decadent chocolate martini

And Adam and I shared the bread basket and a tomato, basil, and serrano ham flatbread

For our next course, Adam got veal chili. Normally, I’d object to veal, but the menu made a point to note that the veal was free-range and organic!

And I got a gorgeous salad with lettuce, red pear, gorgonzola cheese, grapes, and roasted water chestnuts

Next up was the main course. Adam got a five cheese macaroni and cheese with chicken. It. Was. Awesome.

I got a roasted duck breast on truffled polenta with a tart orange sauce and broccolini

At that point, we decided to save some room for room service dessert later in the evening. We exchanged anniversary gifts (I got him a gorgeous leather bag for teaching, and he got me a Nook digital reader!) and a little while later, we ordered dessert. Apple-Walnut Upside Down Pie with Ice cream? YES PLEASE!

And in the morning… it was time for cheese! We visited the iconic Mars’ Cheese Castle in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

The cows were in the holiday spirit already…

There was a room with a sign…

But luckily, an employee saw me taking pictures and opened the door. It was a room FULL OF CHEESE!

There was a wall of hot sauce

And it looks like the castle is moving… this appears to be its soon-to-be home!

When we arrived back home, we unwrapped something that has been in our freezer for a year…

WEDDING CAKE!!!! Red velvet and chocolate with milk chocolate mousse… it was just as good as it was a year ago!

It was truly a wonderful weekend full of time with my amazing husband, relaxation, and of course, amazing food…

xoxo.jpg

signature.jpg

Amanda @ Vegacious December 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Awww! Looks like you two had a great time! :) I would definitely be obsessed with that wall of hot sauce!
Amanda @ Vegacious´s last blog post ..Warmth Chocolate

Mel December 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM

That’s awesome that you two had a great time at the Metro. I always hear good things about them! I definitely am going to have to go to have dinner there one day soon!

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM

what an amazing way to spend the first anniversary :) congrats again!
Heather (Heather’s Dish)´s last blog post ..Me Against the Christmas Tree

quix December 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Your weekend sounded great! I’m kinda bummed we didn’t get to keep a piece of our wedding cake for a year later, but oh well. :) Love all the cheese and hot sauce. Zliten and I would be in HEAVEN!
quix´s last blog post ..2010 Race Season- Did I Do All That Part 2

VeggieGirl December 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Beautiful anniversary celebration! I love the restaurant decor and that chocolate martini, especially.

“I won’t go into TOO much detail, but Adam and I had a wonderful first anniversary!”

In the words of the Suave one… “pow chika pow pow” :D
VeggieGirl´s last blog post ..Exactly Why I Am Thankful

Jenn (eating bender) December 2, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Lovely, delicious and perfect. :) Everything an anniversary should be! Glad the cake still tasted amazing, too!

Happy Anniversary, Mara and Adam!
Jenn (eating bender)´s last blog post ..Giving Thanks

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 2, 2010 at 5:42 AM

Your cake still looks so good!
Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog post ..Peppermint Mocha Milkshake

Lauren December 2, 2010 at 5:47 AM

Looks WONDERFUL!!!! Happy Anniversary to the cutest couple ever! Love you!
Lauren´s last blog post ..I Surrender!

Amy Miller December 2, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for the tip on the Metro. We stay at the Pfister for get aways but I like the “green” slant and the food looks yummy. Just got a whole duck from the CSA at work and was trying to decide how to fix it. HUMMM. Your cake looks decadent. SO glad it still tasted good. :) Many years of continued HAPPINESS and LOVE to your and Adam. xx, Amy
Amy Miller´s last blog post ..Mulligatawny Soup

Crystal December 2, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary. My husband and I forgot about the cake in our freezer at our 1 year. We didn’t realize it until it was about 2 yrs. ( Obviously we need to clean out our freezer more often.) So we didn’t eat our cake, It looked a little scary.
Crystal´s last blog post ..New Haircut

Jenn at A Girl Who Loves Cupcakes December 2, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Happy Anniversary! You look like you had a great day! We didn’t save our wedding cake, but yours looked still pretty darn perfect!

To many more happy years together!
Jenn at A Girl Who Loves Cupcakes´s last blog post ..Another Day in the Life

Kristy December 2, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Happy Anniversary! Looks like you had an amazing time!
Kristy´s last blog post ..Welcome- December!

Roz December 2, 2010 at 10:46 AM

This post is AWESOME! Congrats to you both, and what a perfect way to spend your first anniversary!! PS: I am so wanting to go to the cheese castle, that looks FANTASTIC!
Roz´s last blog post ..Title trouble again…

natalie (the sweets life) December 2, 2010 at 10:47 AM

ahh I pass that cheese place ALL the time when we’re in IL with my fam and driving to WI to visit more fam (making that drive this weekend actually). Never been in but now I totally want to :)

So glad you had a good anniversary celebration!
natalie (the sweets life)´s last blog post ..Cinnamon Oatmeal Raisin Scones

Tracey December 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Happy Anniversary! Looks like the two of you had a great time.

I love visitng cheese makers (is that what they are called?) probably has something to do with my love of cheese :)

Julie Anne Rhodes December 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM

What a fun anniversary, and um, glad you had other things on your mind than taking pictured of the hotel room. I think I would have ordered off the menu exactly like you did – looks divine!

Many more anniversaries, each more wonderful than the last.
Julie Anne Rhodes´s last blog post ..What Have You Got to Lose Digging Deeper

Marianne December 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Sounds like a great anniversary. I mean, how could it be bad with all that cheese?! :D
Marianne´s last blog post ..It’s Amazing!

Biz December 3, 2010 at 8:49 AM

What a great way to celebrate your anniversary! Tony and I will be hitting 10 years in a couple weeks – it goes by so fast.

And I want that wall of hot sauce! :D

Happy Friday Mara!
Biz´s last blog post ..Gluten Free Pizza!

MarathonVal December 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM

What a beautiful anniversary recap! Happy anniversary to you and Adam! :)
MarathonVal´s last blog post ..Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe

Simply Life December 4, 2010 at 6:47 AM

wow, looks like an amazing time! Happy anniversary!
Simply Life´s last blog post ..Granola Gourmet!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life December 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I’m so glad you had a good time! And that martini looks amazing :)
April @ Crazy Fabulous Life´s last blog post ..Freezing

Clare @ Fitting It All In December 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM

is that cheese in the shape of a beer mug?? awesome:)

Glad to hear you had a great weekend! How could you not with a massage and that CAKE!