Homegrown and Silky

Before I get to dinner, I just want to thank you all from the bottom of my food-nerd heart for voting for me in the Project Food Blog Next Food Blog Star contest! I know that signing up for FoodBuzz might be intimidating, but I promise there will be no spam sent your way! There are HUNDREDS of amazing bloggers out there, and I’m truly honored to even be on the same webpage as some of them!

Voting ends on September 23, so you still have time!

Now, on to why you’re really here: to see what exactly it is I’ve cooked up in my kitchen today. You may remember that my friend Mal gave me some lovely butternut squashes from her garden the other day.

I used the back one that day for the delicious gnocchi, and the other two were reserved for something else. My friend Amy, back in March, graciously fed me a bowl of the most amazing butternut squash soup I’ve ever had in my life. Everywhere else that makes butternut squash soup tends to season it like dessert: cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe a touch of cumin.

Amy though, had a unique recipe that I was convinced: these squash were destined to become that soup!

butternut squash soup

From WorldPlates

My modifications are in parenthesis

Serves 6

* 2 Tbsp. olive oil

* 1 cup white or yellow onion, chopped

* 3 cloves garlic, chopped

* 1 large carrot or 10 baby carrots, chopped

* 2 stalks celery, chopped

* 4-5 cups cubed butternut squash (I used 5)

* 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I needed 3)

* 1 tsp. rubbed sage

* 1 tsp. ground rosemary

* ½ tsp. ground white pepper

* 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar

* 2 tsp. molasses

* 3 Tbsp. cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat, you could use the Tofutti brand substitute or omit it.)

Heat olive oil in large heavy bottomed pot. Sauté onion and garlic until softened. Add all but last three ingredients. Cook covered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (At this point, I needed to add a bit more broth) Remove from heat and add vinegar, molasses and cream cheese. Allow to cool slightly and then puree, either in a blender or with an immersion blender. (I used my immersion blender.)

Serve and garnish. I used chopped chives and a touch of sour cream.

butternut squash soup

To say this soup is thick, rich, hearty, and smooth is an understatement.

butternut squash soup

One thing that I accidentally did (by not paying attention!) was to allow the onions, garlic, celery, and squash to caramelize a bit before adding the broth. I think I’ll do this the next time I make it as well because it added a richness and depth of flavor that only slow and careful cooking can add.

Thank you, Amy, for such a wonderful recipe and to Mal for the lovely squash! I’m so lucky to have friends and family that truly understand my food obsessions…

xoxo.jpg

signature.jpg

This entry was posted in friends, simple recipe, vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Homegrown and Silky

1. You made a bowl of orange mush look SO pretty!? How on earth did you make those little designs ?? So cool 😀
    Mary (What’s Cookin’ with Mary)´s last blog post ..Simple Tomato Salad

2. VeggieGirl says:

Beautiful butternut soup!
    VeggieGirl´s last blog post ..The Fun Never Stops

3. Lauren says:

I just used my squash to make soup too! Oh one of the many wonders of fall is butternut squash soup. 😉
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Fall Teasers

4. That last picture with the spoonful?! It looks so creamy and thick! DELISH!
    Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog post ..Mr How Sweet’s Birthday Treats

5. Amy says:

Mara – SO glad you gave my recipe a try. It looks great. I have 4 kinds of sqaush from the farmers market just waiting to be turned into something fallish. Love the little dabs of sourcream on top, so pretty.
    Amy´s last blog post ..Vegetable Timbale alla Maria

6. Wei-Wei says:

Look at the thickness of that soup! It’s almost like… yogurt! O_O I love thick soups like that. Yummmy 😀

7. quix says:

That looks GREAT! Just voted for ya, btw. 🙂 Let us know when the next round is!
    quix´s last blog post ..I Am My Own Superhero

8. That looks amazing!!!!! I love creamy fall soups like that. I need to make this. I starred it in my g-reader.

9. glidingcalm says:

that soup looks amazing!! esp cuz I am COLDDDDDDDDD right now!!! Winter foods are just around the corner!
    glidingcalm´s last blog post ..Wonderful Sunday………with HORSES!!!!

10. mara, this looks AMAZING! Perfect way to welcome the fall! 😉
    shannon (the daily balance)´s last blog post ..Try it – ON THE MOVE – need your tips!

11. Elise says:

the soup looks SO delicious. i think i might actually like squash, if it looks that good. I will be trying your recipe the moment i get my hands on some butternut squash.

do you think it would freeze well?!
    Elise´s last blog post ..1708 Miles Enough said

12. Crystal says:

This soup looks so delicious! And I’ve been looking for butternut squash recipes, yum! Thanks for sharing!
    Crystal´s last blog post ..The Lost Symbol

13. I love Butternut Squash Soup- I think it’s my favorite way to eat any kind of squash! It’s one of those things I get excited for when fall rears its head. 🙂

14. Lizz says:

I love your little sour cream designs. It really gives the soup a special touch.

15. Nicole says:

Do you think I could swap greek yogurt for the cream cheese?