Winning Combinations

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on September 13, 2010

in Baking, family, family recipe, friends

What do you get when you put me, my best friend Lizz, her daughter Skylar together with a fun new project and the promise of a great blog post? Some cuteness with some excellent photos is what, and countless “balls” jokes…which you’ll understand in a minute!

I discovered Bakerella’s cupcake bites about a year ago, and they’ve been lurking in my brain since. I love the idea of them, and you all know me and my cute food obsession! Since our oven is busted, I enlisted LIzz’s oven and the help of her and Skylar to create this adorable project as part of my sister’s birthday present.

Step 1: Bake a cake. We used Funfetti mix (since Skylar said we had to do rainbow colored cake.)

cupcake bites

Allow Dad to lick the bowl, and kids to lick the beaters!

Step 2: Instruct 5-year-old to crumble the cake with her hands

Step 3: Mix 1 can frosting in with the crumbled cake

cupcake bites

Step 4: With wet hands, roll the cake mixture into small balls, about 3/4″ in diameter.

cupcake bites

Step 5: Melt chocolate and colored candy melts to a liquid consistency. We used the “double boiler” method.

cupcake bites

Step 5: Squeeze melted chocolate into the bottom of a cup-shaped candy mold.

cupcake bites

Step 6: Give 5-year-old your iPhone to play games on while Mommy and Mara do the “grown up” part of the project.

cupcake bites

Step 7: Press chilled cake balls into the chocolate-filled molds and allow to cool. Remove from mold and repeat.

cupcake bites

Step 8: Dip top halves of mini cupcakes into colored candy melts, and decorate with sprinkles and upside-down M&Ms.

cupcake bites

Step 9: Commence taking ridiculous number of pictures of adorable mini cupcakes!

Step 10: Package in boxes

cupcake bites

Step 11: Devour the leftovers!

cupcake bites

Step 12: Join family for Leigh’s birthday celebration full of family recipes, including roasted chicken and fillets, and an apple cake you’ll be seeing again!

Step 13: Announce winner of the BBQ Package contest from ICBINB

Comment #40, which was Nina!! Congratulations! I’ll email you for your address and get you in contact with your benefactor!

xoxo.jpg

signature.jpg

Lauren September 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I’m not sure what is cuter, Skylar or the cupcakes! :)
Lauren´s last blog post ..Tolys Surprise 25th Birthday Party

Kelly Dietrich September 15, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Skylar is cuter. No offense to the cute snacks!
(from Skylar’s Grandmother – that’s me!)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Well, obviously :)

VeggieGirl September 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Perfect post title for a perfect celebration! :-D

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) September 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Oh my….I want those little cupcakes now! :)
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat)´s last blog post ..1390Double Pasta Leftovers

Nina September 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I must have one of those cupcakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wei-Wei September 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM

That is WAY too cute. I just loooove Bakerella – I wonder if it’d work with homemade frosting, though.

Tyler September 13, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I did not know that it was possible to make funfetti even more fun! Those look amazing!
Tyler´s last blog post ..Shrimp Paella and B-Day Recap

Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 13, 2010 at 11:18 PM

O.M.G. i had something similar to that when there was a food festival in town…so freak’n delicious. i had one in carrot cake, red velvet and walnut. tasttttyyyyyyyy!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal´s last blog post ..I Should Be Barred

Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I’m in love! Sounds like you and the ladies had a picture perfect evening. I feel privileged to have had a sneak peek of this deliciousness. :) Can’t wait to see what was in store for Leigh’s birthday celebration! Happy belated to her!
Jenn (eating bender)´s last blog post ..24 Reasons Why I Said Yes

Marianne September 14, 2010 at 2:17 AM

Um, I’m pretty sure I need to make those because they are awesome. Wonder if I could do it with homemade cake and frosting instead. Like…chocolate cake and peanut butter frosting? Oh hells yes!
Marianne´s last blog post ..A Day In The Life – Monday Edition

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 14, 2010 at 6:28 AM

Oh it would totally work with homemade cake and frosting, we just took the easy way out since it was our first time making them! PB and chocolate? Yes please!

MizFit September 14, 2010 at 5:32 AM

I lovelovelove all the photos.

LOVE.
MizFit´s last blog post ..How to get sponsored for conferences

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 14, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Oh my goodness! This sounds SO sinful!! Wish I could taste test one ;)
Mary (What’s Cookin’ with Mary)´s last blog post ..Cabernet Meat Sauce

Debby September 14, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Those little cupcakes looks delicious :)
Debby´s last blog post ..Pasta Carbonara

Tracey September 14, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Those cupcakes are so cute and actually look like something I would be able to create:)

TorontoGirloutWest September 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

What a wonderful job you did!!!! :) I know of a lot of people that tried to replicate these and they came out looking like a disaster. Yours, however, are gorgeous!
TorontoGirloutWest´s last blog post ..A Day for Cheaters

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 14, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Thank you!! Not all of ours were this pretty, I assure you of that much!

glidingcalm September 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM

SO.STINKIN.ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love them!!!!
glidingcalm´s last blog post ..Love this product!!!

Kathryn September 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM

recipe4living.comYum! I wish my baking creations looked that pretty! You should try these banana chocolate chunk cupcakes. They are incredible!
Kathryn´s last blog post ..Yom Kippur