Brought to You By the Letter “T”

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on June 2, 2010

in simple recipe, tofu, vegetarian

Dinner was full of T’s.

Tofu. Teriyaki. Tubers. Tower.

I made a baked tofu much like our beloved Gliding Calm does. I used sriracha for the spice, and agave for the sweet. I made it a point to press the heck out of it under a baking pan, heavy cookbook, cast iron skillet, box of silverware, and a bag of flour. (I need one of those handy dandy tofu pressing devices.)

I made some Low & Slow sweet potatoes (tubers!) much like Ashley does.

They all got drizzled with some teriyaki and placed into a tower.

Terrifically & tremendously TASTY!

I helped organize the talent show today, and my coworker and I participated by doing the Macarena in front of all 1200 students and staff. There’s a whopping 1.5 days left of school and I have half a classroom to pack! I’ll be at school early tomorrow… I can’t believe it’s the end of the year already!

A very happy (and belated) birthday to the children of two of my very best friends! Skylar turned 5 yesterday, and my friend Meghan’s son Patrick turned one! Where does the time go?! I love you all!

Mary (A Merry Life) June 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Terrrific!

(I couldn’t help myself.)
.-= Mary (A Merry Life)´s last blog ..Food With A View =-.

Jenn (eating bender) June 2, 2010 at 9:54 PM

That dinner full of T’s looks RIDICULOUS. And by ridiculous, I mean amazing :) I haven’t made a good tower in so long…I need to buy some waffles and make a breakfast tower tomorrow ;)

Good luck packing up the classroom! Love that you did the Macarena – that used to be one of my favorites.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SKYLAR AND PATRICK!
.-= Jenn (eating bender)´s last blog ..How To Make Your Muscles Scream =-.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 2, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I love you Bender :)

glidingcalm June 2, 2010 at 10:55 PM

macarenaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! love it!! thank you for the shout out my MARA! I LOVE YOUUUUUUUU
.-= glidingcalm´s last blog ..CRUNCH TIME! (One more week of school!!!!) =-.

cinnamonquill June 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM

oh, wow; check out that photo! nice work, mara!

Wei-Wei June 2, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Tofu turns me on terribly.
.-= Wei-Wei´s last blog ..surprise! or, not. =-.

Marianne June 3, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Wait – school is done this week for you? You don’t go through the end of June? Kids here are in school til then. Sweet deal for you!

Terrific tofu & tuber tower. Totally ;)
.-= Marianne´s last blog ..Burger-licious =-.

Lauren June 3, 2010 at 6:12 AM

Love it!!!
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..I am an Almond Butter Thief =-.

brandi June 3, 2010 at 7:33 AM

yum, that tofu looks perfect!

Carolyn Jung June 3, 2010 at 10:52 AM

At first glance, I thought that was a tower of French toast — well, until I saw the broccoli. A tower of tofu is even better, as it’s good for ya. ;)

Amanda June 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Could your tofu steaks be any more perfect? That is my goal and I can never get them to not crumble!! They look fantastic!
.-= Amanda´s last blog ..What’s that in there? Lunch!? =-.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Tofu tips (ha, more t’s!): Slice it thicker than you think you need (I get 7-8 slices per block). Use extra-firm tofu. Press it in a single layer between a bunch of paper towels for at LEAST a half hour. Lightly rub them with your marinade, then bake at 425 for about an hour. They get a great crust on them! Hope that helps!

MizFit June 4, 2010 at 4:24 AM

sadly around here these days the T would be for TAKEOUT :)

Katie June 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Now that is my kind of dinner! I used to make GC’s tofu and sweet potatoes almost every day when I was in college.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Master of the Stinky Cheese =-.

arizona glass June 5, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Glad school is over and hope you have a restful summer. That food looked delicious.

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary June 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I heart gliding calm tofu! I haven’t made it ina few, need to whip up another batch… Some how I can’t seem to stop eating it. So addicting ;)
Mary @ What’s Cookin’ with Mary´s last blog post ..Home Sweet Home