The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pans Visits Italia

Last night was a night that I’d been looking forward to for a long time: another meeting of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pans! It was decided last time we met that the next meeting would be at my mom’s house, and the theme? None other than Italy!

Since I have about a billion pictures (big surprise, right?) I’ll keep the reading to a minimum and allow you to just look and drool… it was an amazing night full of laughter and liquor, friends and food, and I absolutely can’t wait for the next one!

I arrived at my mom’s early to, as always, a beautifully set table

While my 5 quart pot of bolognese sauce heated on the stove, I made a batch of creamy parmesan polenta to go with it.

My mom made us bellinis with prosecco and fresh peach puree as the other women started to arrive.

They were delicious! We had some olives and local mozzarella to munch on as everyone’s food heated up.

It was such fun to stand around and chat food with a bunch of people who love it as much as I do!

Emily arrived with the makings of limoncello sidecars…quite possibly the most delicious and potent drink I’ve ever had!

She also made little potato hors d’oeuvres full of marscapone cheese and a tapenade of olives, anchovies, garlic, and something else… they were delicious!

Amy arrived with her homemade orichiette, as well as enough dough and supplies to teach us all how to make them! It’s such a cool process! She’ll be posting instructions and a video soon on her blog, WorldPlates.

Her final product was a remarkable dish of orichiette with broccoli rabe, garlic, and fresh sardines

Liz brought a lovely caesar salad

Tina brought a remarkable ricotta bread, and these zucchini stuffed with prosciutto, salami, parmesan, garlic, and other lovely Italian yumminess. Apparently, she has a tool that can just core the entire zucchini whole!

Eo was there too, and she brought this wonderful chicken marsala with pancetta, mushrooms, and a sauce I could’ve drank with a spoon.

My bolognese, which happened to cook for about 6 hours on Wednesday, and another hour yesterday:

My mom also had a wild green salad with my grandma’s classic salad dressing on it.

The whole table with all the eats:

My plate (and I may have had seconds of a couple things)

Dessert was a huge pan of tiramisu that my mom made, which she claimed had no redeeming health qualities. We soon determined that the dark chocolate and dairy were definitely redeeming qualities! It. Was. AMAZING!

tiramisu

Why so good? Well, one reason was that the ladyfingers were soaked with a mixture of coffee and this stuff:

patron

Patrón Café, the best after-dinner liquor ever. It’s coffee tequila… yeah. That’s right.

Amy also brought some of her homemade limoncello, which I mixed with some Pellegrino. Again, amazing.

limoncello
limoncello

We stayed way too late, ate too much, and drank too much… and it was wonderful! I’m so honored and happy to be part of this amazing group of women. Thank you all again for including me!

Happy Friday!

This entry was posted in family, friends, Italian and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pans Visits Italia

1. I want to move so I can be a part of it!
    .-= Jessica @ How Sweet´s last blog ..Whole Wheat Banana Coconut Muffins. =-.

2. Tracey says:

Wow, looks like a fantastic way to spend an evening! The food looks amazing!

3. What a wonderful night you had ! Would love to have a group to meet with like that :)
    .-= Mary @ What’s Cookin’ with Mary´s last blog ..Mary’s Slow Cooker Chili =-.

4. axor says:

great pix!!!

5. What a fun, special night with a fabulous group of women! The local mozzarella and the olives would be enough to make my night, but it looks like you got to experience that and so much more! Yummmm!

Happy Friday, Mara!
    .-= Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog ..Catching Up =-.

6. Melissa S. says:

O.M.G. what an awesome evening!!! it looks beautiful!!! i’m so jealous…

7. Christina says:

Wow, that looks like so much fun! I love your hair color Mara! :) The home made oriechette look so cool! And I have to admit I’m jealous of the Prosecco and Limoncello!
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..Friday Firsts – Strawberry Sour Cream Loaf =-.

8. amanda says:

Wow!!! I am drooling all over my keyboard right now.
    .-= amanda´s last blog ..The Big Salad! =-.

9. Katie says:

What a delicious spread. I love that coffee tequila liqueur- very good. I’ve only had it splashed in some coffee but I bet it’s way more delicious soaked into lady fingers. This made me crave Italian for dinner!

10. Oh my goodness, I love, love, love your mom’s dining room chandelier!!

This looks like an amazing evening!
    .-= Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg´s last blog ..School Is a Bore When You’re Stuck Indoors =-.

11. That chandelier in your mom’s dining room is AMAZING!!!
    .-= Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly´s last blog ..Let Me Introduce You To… =-.

12. MarathonVal says:

Ok, I hope I’m not wrong about this… I could have sworn that when I saw you just a few days ago your hair was blonde? Or maybe I’m crazy? Anyway, either way it looks great brunette! :)

13. Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks just… (whimper) amazing. Can I be invited next time?
    .-= Foodie McBody´s last blog ..Eating, Alone =-.

14. Autumn says:

This looks so extravagant! And that dessert…wow!
    .-= Autumn´s last blog ..My mouth is on fire!!! =-.

15. Liz Barrett says:

You captured our evening perfectly! So much fun. Your polenta with the Bolognese? Get out. Pasta, move aside. Helllll-ooooo, Polenta, my sexy new friend!
    .-= Liz Barrett´s last blog ..Fresh Spring Favorite: Zucchini Wrapped Fish Fillets =-.

16. katklaw777 says:

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
    I just want to say thanks for the Oversky giveaway. I luv my Cali bowls!
    I was waiting for you to post something about it so I could thank you then but I may have missed it. My comps been acting really wonky lately.

P.S. Can I please have a Bellini, YUM!
    P.S.S. luv to have the stuffed zucchini recipe…how did she do that?!?
    On second thought, you could share ALL the recipes,please, pretty please.

17. DianaHayes says:

Looks like a lot of fun. I love those types of gatherings.
    .-= DianaHayes´s last blog ..Serious About Reusable Bags For My Groceries & Nature Bags =-.

18. Biz says:

Everything looks wonderful Mara! What a great time!
    .-= Biz´s last blog ..Date Night = Great Night! =-.

What a fun evening! Check out all that amazing food.