The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pans Visits Italia

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on April 23, 2010

in family, friends, Italian

Last night was a night that I’d been looking forward to for a long time: another meeting of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pans! It was decided last time we met that the next meeting would be at my mom’s house, and the theme? None other than Italy!

Since I have about a billion pictures (big surprise, right?) I’ll keep the reading to a minimum and allow you to just look and drool… it was an amazing night full of laughter and liquor, friends and food, and I absolutely can’t wait for the next one!

I arrived at my mom’s early to, as always, a beautifully set table

While my 5 quart pot of bolognese sauce heated on the stove, I made a batch of creamy parmesan polenta to go with it.

My mom made us bellinis with prosecco and fresh peach puree as the other women started to arrive.

They were delicious! We had some olives and local mozzarella to munch on as everyone’s food heated up.

It was such fun to stand around and chat food with a bunch of people who love it as much as I do!

Emily arrived with the makings of limoncello sidecars…quite possibly the most delicious and potent drink I’ve ever had!

She also made little potato hors d’oeuvres full of marscapone cheese and a tapenade of olives, anchovies, garlic, and something else… they were delicious!

Amy arrived with her homemade orichiette, as well as enough dough and supplies to teach us all how to make them! It’s such a cool process! She’ll be posting instructions and a video soon on her blog, WorldPlates.

Her final product was a remarkable dish of orichiette with broccoli rabe, garlic, and fresh sardines

Liz brought a lovely caesar salad

Tina brought a remarkable ricotta bread, and these zucchini stuffed with prosciutto, salami, parmesan, garlic, and other lovely Italian yumminess. Apparently, she has a tool that can just core the entire zucchini whole!

Eo was there too, and she brought this wonderful chicken marsala with pancetta, mushrooms, and a sauce I could’ve drank with a spoon.

My bolognese, which happened to cook for about 6 hours on Wednesday, and another hour yesterday:

My mom also had a wild green salad with my grandma’s classic salad dressing on it.

The whole table with all the eats:

My plate (and I may have had seconds of a couple things)

Dessert was a huge pan of tiramisu that my mom made, which she claimed had no redeeming health qualities. We soon determined that the dark chocolate and dairy were definitely redeeming qualities! It. Was. AMAZING!

tiramisu

Why so good? Well, one reason was that the ladyfingers were soaked with a mixture of coffee and this stuff:

patron

Patrón Café, the best after-dinner liquor ever. It’s coffee tequila… yeah. That’s right.

Amy also brought some of her homemade limoncello, which I mixed with some Pellegrino. Again, amazing.

limoncello
limoncello

We stayed way too late, ate too much, and drank too much… and it was wonderful! I’m so honored and happy to be part of this amazing group of women. Thank you all again for including me!

Happy Friday!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 23, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I want to move so I can be a part of it!
.-= Jessica @ How Sweet´s last blog ..Whole Wheat Banana Coconut Muffins. =-.

Tracey April 23, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Wow, looks like a fantastic way to spend an evening! The food looks amazing!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM

What a wonderful night you had ! Would love to have a group to meet with like that :)
.-= Mary @ What’s Cookin’ with Mary´s last blog ..Mary’s Slow Cooker Chili =-.

axor April 23, 2010 at 1:44 PM

great pix!!!

Lara (Thinspired) April 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM

What a fun, special night with a fabulous group of women! The local mozzarella and the olives would be enough to make my night, but it looks like you got to experience that and so much more! Yummmm!

Happy Friday, Mara!
.-= Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog ..Catching Up =-.

Melissa S. April 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM

O.M.G. what an awesome evening!!! it looks beautiful!!! i’m so jealous…

Christina April 23, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Wow, that looks like so much fun! I love your hair color Mara! :) The home made oriechette look so cool! And I have to admit I’m jealous of the Prosecco and Limoncello!
.-= Christina´s last blog ..Friday Firsts – Strawberry Sour Cream Loaf =-.

amanda April 23, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Wow!!! I am drooling all over my keyboard right now.
.-= amanda´s last blog ..The Big Salad! =-.

Katie April 23, 2010 at 3:23 PM

What a delicious spread. I love that coffee tequila liqueur- very good. I’ve only had it splashed in some coffee but I bet it’s way more delicious soaked into lady fingers. This made me crave Italian for dinner!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Oh my goodness, I love, love, love your mom’s dining room chandelier!!

This looks like an amazing evening!
.-= Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg´s last blog ..School Is a Bore When You’re Stuck Indoors =-.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly April 23, 2010 at 3:55 PM

That chandelier in your mom’s dining room is AMAZING!!!
.-= Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly´s last blog ..Let Me Introduce You To… =-.

MarathonVal April 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Ok, I hope I’m not wrong about this… I could have sworn that when I saw you just a few days ago your hair was blonde? Or maybe I’m crazy? Anyway, either way it looks great brunette! :)

Foodie McBody April 23, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks just… (whimper) amazing. Can I be invited next time?
.-= Foodie McBody´s last blog ..Eating, Alone =-.

Autumn April 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM

This looks so extravagant! And that dessert…wow!
.-= Autumn´s last blog ..My mouth is on fire!!! =-.

Liz Barrett April 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM

You captured our evening perfectly! So much fun. Your polenta with the Bolognese? Get out. Pasta, move aside. Helllll-ooooo, Polenta, my sexy new friend!
.-= Liz Barrett´s last blog ..Fresh Spring Favorite: Zucchini Wrapped Fish Fillets =-.

katklaw777 April 24, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
I just want to say thanks for the Oversky giveaway. I luv my Cali bowls!
I was waiting for you to post something about it so I could thank you then but I may have missed it. My comps been acting really wonky lately.

P.S. Can I please have a Bellini, YUM!
P.S.S. luv to have the stuffed zucchini recipe…how did she do that?!?
On second thought, you could share ALL the recipes,please, pretty please.

DianaHayes April 24, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Looks like a lot of fun. I love those types of gatherings.
.-= DianaHayes´s last blog ..Serious About Reusable Bags For My Groceries & Nature Bags =-.

Biz April 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Everything looks wonderful Mara! What a great time!
.-= Biz´s last blog ..Date Night = Great Night! =-.

Marianne May 5, 2010 at 12:54 PM

What a fun evening! Check out all that amazing food.