Pink and Sparkly!

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on April 21, 2010

in Baking, simple recipe, vegetarian

I’ve always held a spot in my heart for meringues. Apparently, when I was a little girl, we’d go to Baker’s Square (then called Poppin’ Fresh) for pie, and I’d always want the “Lemon Syringe” pie… have I mentioned that I was a special child?

My mom would make lemon meringue pie, and until one random Passover, I didn’t know of any other kind of meringue. Then, one year, my mom made meringue cookies. They were puffy, full of chocolate chips, and completely dissolved upon hitting the tongue…and I was in LOVE! Not long after that, tubs of meringues were available at the grocery store, and they were a Weight Watcher’s dream, coming in at 1 Point for about a thousand of them.

Until the other day, I had shied away from making my own meringues because well, I didn’t have a mixer! I’ve got some arm strength, but not nearly enough to whip egg whites into stiff peaks! Now, I’m unstoppable! I made rows upon rows upon rows of pink shiny and sprinkled meringues!

pink meringues

The recipe is simple:

Girly Pink Meringues

Ingredients

* 4 egg whites

* 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

* 1/2 tsp. salt

* 1 1/3 c. sugar

* 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

* 1/3 c. miniature chocolate chips (optional)

* food coloring as desired (I used Wilton icing coloring in Rose)

Directions

Pre-heat your oven to 300*

1. Place your egg whites into the bowl of your mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and allow to come to room temperature, about 30 minutes. (Don’t worry, they won’t spoil!)

2. Beat the egg whites until foamy, then add the salt and cream of tartar.

3. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then add the vanilla, and begin adding the sugar 2 Tbsp. at a time.

4. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and are bright white and glossy. Add the food color at this point, and continue whipping until the color is evenly distributed.

5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and gently fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with the large tip of your choice. I used the “blank” bag.

6. Pipe into the size and shape you want. I went with “kiss” shapes and got about 75 of them.

7. Bake at 300* until dry to the touch, about 25 to 30 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THEM FROM THE OVEN!

8. Turn off the oven and allow the meringues to sit in the cooling oven until completely cool. This allows for proper drying.

ENJOY!

pink meringues
pink meringues
img_1193098772513_711.jpg

They’re pink alright. And they’re sparkly. I think they’re perfect for anyone who likes anything pink… or sparkly… or sweet… or well, the husband of someone who likes things that are pink, sparkly and sweet! As a matter of fact, half of these meringues are going to a few coworkers, students, and friends…and the rest? Yeah, they’re Adam’s!

Oh, and for those of you wondering about the “random plate of roasted food” that I tweeted about?

tofu

From left: spicy roast string beans, sesame baked tofu, low & slow sweet potatoes, and a smashed avocado. Random? Yes! Delicious? OH yes!

Also, remember that photo shoot from a while back? Well, the article came out online today! Check it out on makeitbetter.net!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Oh em gee. How freaking adorable are those?!? Those were made for me!!
.-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..Crab Avocado Quesadillas. =-.

Whitney @ Lettuce Love April 21, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Those look so good! I love the pink :) I think random dinners are the best!
.-= Whitney @ Lettuce Love´s last blog ..Why Do You Bother? =-.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) April 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Pink AND sparkly…nothing but the best combination of things EVER!
.-= Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat)´s last blog ..135.6 =-.

Leaving Fatville April 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM

OM NOM NOM NOM!

I want it all! Especially pink sparkly cookies!

Brittany April 21, 2010 at 7:59 PM

OMG. I love your meringues!!

Aren’t roasted food the best. I could eat roasted vegetables everyday, all day!
.-= Brittany´s last blog ..South of the Border =-.

Christina April 21, 2010 at 8:04 PM

They’re pretty! You crack me up!!! Lemon syringe! When I was little I INSISTED on ordering for myself but could never remember what things were called – like “medium.” So I’d order “the not little but the not big size” and a whole other slew of drawn out explanations. I’m sure behind me the entire time my parents were correcting my order to the smiling waitress.
.-= Christina´s last blog ..Yoplait Giveaway =-.

Ashley April 21, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Oh my gosh!! You made Ashley cookies!!!
.-= Ashley´s last blog ..Enjoying unemployment =-.

Lauren April 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Is that just simply an avocado? It looks incredible!!!!
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..We’ve Got Crabs =-.

MarathonVal April 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I used to have a thing for meringues, too – but rest assured that mine were never half as cute as yours! ;)

Jenn (j3nn.net) April 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Cute pink meringues!! :)

Your plate of roasted deliciousness looks yummy, too. I was actually just thinking about sesame tofu yesterday. Weird! lol

Jenn
.-= Jenn (j3nn.net)´s last blog ..Grillz =-.

Gabriela (froyolover) April 21, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Awww – lovely recipe, girl!
Thanks for sharing :)
Have a great night!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela
.-= Gabriela (froyolover)´s last blog ..Crazy Schedule =-.

Jenn (eating bender) April 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Um, HELLO MERINGUES!! What? You want to come downtown and pay me a visit? Sure thing!

Those look amaaaaazing! And I love your random plate of food. Everything on there is something I enjoy individually, so why not combine them all together? Sounds great to me!
.-= Jenn (eating bender)´s last blog ..Madtown vs. Chitown =-.

quix April 22, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Ok, couldn’t help looking because that’s my email address (pinksparkly) – very much a joke because I hate the color pink…but it stuck…but I am glad I did. Those meringues look AWESOME! I love them, so yummy and really lo cal!
.-= quix´s last blog ..A Little More Talk and a Little Less Action =-.

laura April 22, 2010 at 1:03 AM

I WANT PINK AND SPARKLY!! those are adorable-send me some please.
.-= laura´s last blog ..Kale for Kids =-.

jen (@jeninRL) April 22, 2010 at 5:37 AM

Can you send me some of those cookies….or just send you and you can bake for me all the time?!?!

Pink cookies look awesome and I really want some now!
.-= jen (@jeninRL)´s last blog ..wednesday weigh in – 4.21.2010 =-.

Carrie April 22, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Wow those look delicious.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly April 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Cute….I love how creative you are!
.-= Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly´s last blog ..“Extraordinary” Thursday =-.

Jill April 22, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Not only do I like things that are pink, sparkly and sweet – my first waitressing job was at a Baker’s Square! :) These look absolutely delicious!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 22, 2010 at 9:26 AM

How cool!!! I miss baker’s square… so many of them are closed now!

Biz April 22, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I totally forgot it was called Poppin Fresh! Love your cookies!!
.-= Biz´s last blog ..Hannah blames me. =-.

Andrea of Care to Eat April 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Yay! I love pink! I love sparkles!
.-= Andrea of Care to Eat´s last blog ..Andrea: Is this thing on? =-.

Katherine April 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I love how chic those meringues look and they’re really not an unhealthy dessert at all! who doesn’t love consuming something pink…

Katherine

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) April 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Pink! So pretty!!! Random eats are always the best! That plate looks so yummy!
.-= Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)´s last blog ..Quick Dinner… =-.

Lin April 23, 2010 at 1:21 AM

wow mara, every time i read your blog i start to drool. you should seriously consider giving baking and cooking lessons.
.-= Lin´s last blog ..Recipe: You say “Tabbouleh” I say “Tabouleh” =-.

MizFit April 23, 2010 at 5:27 AM

I LOVE MELANGES (yeah Im totally leaving that misspelling in there as I can never spell em either)
they remind me of my childhood for some reason.

never tried the pink tho—just white and chock full of brown (choc. chips :))
.-= MizFit´s last blog ..MizFit, NASCAR, & The Ellen Show. =-.

elise April 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM

oooo that plate of roasted goodies looks SO yum :)

Wendy January 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I love meringues, but my arm can’t take the whipping into stiff peaks. Praying to the kitchen gods for a kitchen aid to help me out. All of the food looks delicious! I still haven’t gotten up the courage to eat tofu though.