Tax Day Tacos

Happy Thursday! Did you all get your taxes done and mailed? Adam and I got ours done (and spent the refund) almost two months ago! I love getting my taxes done early to avoid the rush and panic… and get the refund sooner!

I had a mean Mexican food craving today at work when a coworker had something that smelled cilantro-y, and immediately, my baked tofu and broccoli plan went out the window. I had to have tacos!

I hit the grocery store after work and picked up a few essentials, and set out to make the most delicious tacos I’d ever made. I know, a lofty goal, but when I want something, I want it GOOD. There’s no settling for Taco Bell when I want Frontera.

The lovely people at Marx Foods sent me all those chiles to try not too long ago, and I finally got up the nerve to try them tonight. I’m really glad I did, as the chiles added an amazing flavor I wouldn’t have been able to get another way. I found fresh white corn tortillas, and lean steak already cut up into bite sized pieces…it’s like the stars aligned for me to made tacos!

img_1193098772513_711.jpg
beef tacos

Smoky Spicy Steak Tacos

Marinade ingredients

* 4 small smoked serrano chiles

* juice of 4 limes

* 2 Tbsp. olive oil

* 1 c. hot water

* 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

* 1/2 tsp. onion powder

* 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar

* 1/2 small onion, cut into chunks

Directions

Heat a frying pan over high heat, and add the chile peppers just until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Remove the peppers, cut off the stem and remove the seeds. Cut them into small pieces. Soak the chiles in the hot water for about 10 minutes until softened, then drain. Mix all the other ingredients into the chiles and puree with an immersion blender. Pour over meat, stir well, and allow to marinate from 30 minutes to two hours. Broil or pan-cook the meat, and serve.

beef tacos
img_1193098772513_711.jpg

Best tacos I’ve ever made? Abso-freaking-lutely! The marinade had a lovely smoky spiciness, and the acid in the lime juice combined with the vinegar helped tenderize the steak. And besides, what isn’t great with cheese, sour cream, and avocado on it?

Dessert was a bit odd… well, not odd, just not my typical dessert. When I was at the grocery store, I saw something… huge.

huge sweet potato

The two “little” ones are normal sized sweet potatoes. The top one could’ve eaten the other two. Instead, I ate IT! I made more low & slow sweet potato chunks and enjoyed them with a little cinnamon… so good!

sweet potatoes

I might still want some chocolate later, but that’s ok… It’ll be an early night for me anyway, I haven’t been sleeping too well, and bed sounds super lovely. Have a great Friday!

This entry was posted in beef, Mexican/Latin, simple recipe and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Tax Day Tacos

1. Lauren says:

Yay for tax day tacos!! LoL- I love celebrating these events with food! :)

And I totally understand how amazing sweet potatoes can be for dessert! Honestly, I have to pinch myself whenever I eat them because I often think “how can something that tastes soooo freaking amazing be one of the best things I could ever put in my body!” Now, if only I can create ice cream to do the same things for my body that sweet potatoes do! :)
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Second Chances =-.

2. Christina says:

Yum those look delicious Mara! While watching Rick Bayless’ One Plate at a Time we’ve seen him do that dried chili marinade a lot, but I’ve never done it myself.
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..Potato Pancakes =-.

3. laura says:

your new camera is amazing! I love the photo you got of that taco and they look so great!
    .-= laura´s last blog ..Thursday Make and Do =-.

4. Glad to see that I’m not the only one who gets the humgo sweet potatoes! Still drooling over tacos . . must be in a mexican mood.

5. Those look like some of the best tacos I’ve ever seen…seriously. I’m craving them!
    .-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..Crab Avocado Quesadillas. =-.

6. kate says:

Those chunks of avocado look SO good!
    .-= kate´s last blog ..Grab a Post it! =-.

7. Mama Pea says:

Now THOSE are some sweet potatoes! I love the idea of having them for dessert! Happy Friday, friend!
    .-= Mama Pea´s last blog ..The Living Room Floor =-.

8. Those tacos look muy delicioso!! :D

Jenn
    .-= Jenn (www.j3nn.net)´s last blog ..Zoom Zoom Zoom =-.

9. Yum! I love the thick slices of avacadoes! Perfect!
    .-= Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly´s last blog ..Finally Friday! =-.

10. THAT! Is one big spud! Love the sounds of the dessert! I haven’t had a sweet potato in months now and I’m thinking that should change!

This is my first time being ON your site since you switched up the colors and it looks fabulous!! Have a great Friday :)
    .-= K from ksgoodeats´s last blog ..Hello Goodbye =-.

11. Christina says:

Thank you for the Friday Firsts link back Mara! I appreciate it! :)
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..Potato Pancakes =-.

12. Biz says:

I could have tacos every night and never get sick of it! Now that I think about it, I almost always use ground beef, chicken or shrimp – never steak!

Have a great weekend and enjoy our back to normal spring weather!
    .-= Biz´s last blog ..More Quiche Please! =-.

13. Your sweet taters look glorious! I love the chunky nature to them rather than strips or whole! yum!
    .-= Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)´s last blog ..Protein Update, Metabolic Typing, Mango Salad Dressing, Earth Week =-.

14. glidingcalm says:

OOOOOOOOOOO TACOS! i haven’t made them in sooo long!!!!

i just got a craving for ground meat………………
    .-= glidingcalm´s last blog ..French Meadow Bakery Product Review =-.

15. DianaHayes says:

Avocado looks great, such huge pieces.
    .-= DianaHayes´s last blog ..Spinach Recipes =-.