Pizza Rustica

There are some days when nothing but pizza will do. Sometimes, the pizza needs to be standard Chicago-style deep dish, full of lots of gooey cheese and loaded with sausage and spinach. Those days are usually full of misbehaving students, bad traffic, and fights with a stapler. Today wasn’t one of THOSE days.

Today was the kind of day where two eighth grade boys so desperately want to earn incentive “bucks” that they offered to help me out after school. These two “tough guys” sat and checked in 6th grade projects, hung up a bulletin board, and almost forgot that they’re supposed to be “cool.”

Today was a day where, even though it was pouring rain, I went to four different stores to get supplies for my love’s birthday tomorrow, and am embarking on a super-secret challenging baking project to give him the birthday cake (or pie? or cupcakes? or torte?) he deserves.

Today was a gourmet pizza kind of day. It was a super-thin-crust, topped with vegetables and fancy cheese baked in a super-hot oven pizza kind of day.

pizza rustica

I made a super simple quick-rise pizza dough with organic whole wheat flour that I’m calling 10-10-10 Dough.

* 2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour

* 1 packet yeast

* 1 c. warm water

* 2 Tbsp. olive oil

* 3/4 tsp. salt

Combine yeast, water, and salt in the bowl of a mixer. Allow to bloom about 10 minutes. Add flour and oil, and mix well with a dough hook, allowing it to knead for about 10 minutes. Remove it from the bowl and allow it to rest for (you guessed it) 10 minutes. Cut in half and stretch each piece into a thin crust atop a pan with cornmeal. Top with desired toppings and bake at 425* for about 10 minutes.

pizza rustica
pizza rustica
img_1193098772513_711.jpg

I cut it into 4 slices and thoroughly enjoyed each and every one. I think I’ve come to the conclusion that goat cheese is among my favorite foods. I showed a lot of restraint by not eating the whole container of Chavrie in one sitting!

pizza rustica

I’m off to bake… wish me luck!

This entry was posted in Italian, pizza, simple recipe and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Pizza Rustica

1. Oh dear lord that looks amazing!
    .-= Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly´s last blog ..Tuesday Trooper =-.

2. YUM! That looks so fabulous love. :) Good luck baking. :)
    .-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..Happy Easter! =-.

3. Brandie says:

That’s a beautiful pizza!
    .-= Brandie´s last blog ..Mango Guacamole Recipe =-.

4. Good luck! Can’t wait to see what you make!
    .-= Ann @ Appalachian Appetites´s last blog ..French Savory Bread =-.

5. Christina says:

Oh yum Mara that looks absolutely beautiful!! Good luck w/ the baking project!!
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..Kids in the Kitchen: Pasta Pie =-.

6. Holy YUUM!
    I wish I had your cooking skills.. That pizza looks amazing!
    :D
    Have a great night, Maya!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela
    .-= Gabriela (froyolover)´s last blog ..It´s Raining Cats And Dogs! =-.

7. I love pizza in all ways…..pizza can do no wrong!!
    .-= Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat)´s last blog ..135.4 =-.

8. Mara! You’re making my mouth water!! That pizza looks so good. Can you teleport me a slice ? ;P I am SO jealous of your yeast bread making skills… I always end up buying whole wheat dough at Trader Joe’s. I’ve tried several times and always end up with a fail.. BOO. Try try again right? :)
    -Mary
    Ps my fav cheese is goat too! Great minds…? hehe
    Have a great night!
    .-= Mary @ What’s Cookin’ with Mary´s last blog ..Seared Ahi Tuna with Pineapple Salsa =-.

9. coco says:

agree! somedays there’s nothing better than pizza! :)
    .-= coco´s last blog ..J&J #18 & Highlights =-.

10. Wow, every day should be a pizza day………..I have to try that goat cheese!

11. Mama Pea says:

What a gorgeous pizza and what a fun way of presenting it to us. I am just that kind of girl that would drive all around town for the right “cake” ingredients. I can’t wait to see what you make!!!
    .-= Mama Pea´s last blog ..The Great Compromiser =-.

12. That pizza looks awesome! I love goat cheese, too. I’ve had it on pizza a few times and it’s heavenly. I actually have some that I need to use up, perhaps pizza’s on my menu this week? :) I think it’s on my menu almost every week anyway LOL.

Jenn
    .-= Jenn (j3nn.net)´s last blog ..Sweet Home New York State =-.

13. Jackie says:

That’s what the secret baking was about…

And woah- that pizza dough recipe looks AWESOME. Yea for whole wheat crust! I need to get a pizza stone again asap (broke my last one when i forgot the broiler on too long…)

Next time i suggest you try goat cheese with caramelized onions. YUM!
    .-= Jackie´s last blog ..Sun-dried tomato and basil pasta =-.

14. A super fast pizza dough? This I need to try!!! :)
    .-= Heather @ Side of Sneakers´s last blog ..Just Another Oatmeal Morning =-.

15. Matt says:

That looks good!

16. Quix says:

That looks GREAT. Have fun baking! :)
    .-= Quix´s last blog ..It’s Go Time =-.

17. Tyler says:

i love homemade pizza, but i’be never tried to make my own dough before! i love your simple recipe :)

18. Girl you know I love pizza! Looks amazing! And can you believe, I have yet to try goat cheese on my pies. Crazy, I know!

19. glidingcalm says:

pizza= my love.

that looks delectable.

20. jo says:

I say bring it on .. this pizza looks so good and crispy. Just the way I like my pizzas to be.

21. Melissa S. says:

MMmm!! The pizza looks great, and like it came from a restaurant!
    .-= Melissa S.´s last blog ..This Cali Girl Is Coming HOME!!! =-.

22. I can never manage to get my crust to stay so thin. That looks so fancy and elegant. I’m jealous!
    .-= Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat)´s last blog ..Happy Easter! =-.

23. Ashley says:

Fiance and I keep talking about making our own pizza dough … I’ll bookmark your recipe!!
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..Tijuana Flats =-.