Simply Random

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on February 8, 2010

in chicken/turkey, friends, simple recipe, weight loss

I had a big event after school today. I got to do something I haven’t done in a very long time… I went to Trader Joe’s! I got a pretty decent haul for a small amount of money, and proceeded to make a simple and random TJ’s dinner. After, of course, I spent some time packing up my secret bloggie Valentine gift! I just hope it doesn’t snow so much tomorrow that I can’t get to the post office!

Back to the random dinner:

DSCN5600.JPG
First, on the left, were some simply sauteed mushrooms and green peppers. Then, to the right of that were some TJ’s tomato basil chicken sausages (quite good I might add!) and above that, the star of the plate, some simple creamed spinach. My mom used to make this creamed spinach ALL the time, and it always surprised me because well, we didn’t eat creamed anything. When we went out for dinner on Saturday, she told me how to make it, and I had to try.

The process is simple: steam and drain a bunch of spinach. Stir in 1 Tbsp. cream cheese, 1 Tbsp. sour cream, and I added a sprinkle of garlic powder. You have to try it!!! It works with fat free dairy, or regular… I might have to make a second batch for when Adam gets home, as I might need to finish this batch!

I had a couple of questions over the weekend, some anonymous and some not… so I’ll get to it!

Lauren from Say What You Need To Say asked: IF you could have anyone in the world over to dinner, who would it be and what would you make? That’s a really tough question… it depends on the day, honestly! There are people I’d like to have over just so I could look at them, but somehow I doubt they’d eat much. If we’re talking living or dead, I’d say Julia Child and/or Eddie Izzard. I know, random! Julia Child would get a simple and standard Jewish meal of brisket, kugel, matzoh ball soup, and kishke. Eddie Izzard though, he’s a bit more difficult. I’d be tempted to cook something very “executive” (Eddie fans will get that) or something with Jam.

Annabel from Feed Me, I’m Cranky asked: I would like to know how you met your hubby! Adam and I actually met in college… but the story isn’t that simple! We met probably multiple times at multiple parties, but neither of us particularly remember, for various reasons. Then, in 2004, sick and tired of dating the “wrong” people, I signed up on JDate. I paid for 3 months, went on COUNTLESS bad dates (seriously, go read that guest post from Jessie’s blog, whose blogiversary is today!) and upon getting the “renew now!” email, I decided to cancel. I had 2 weeks left on my subscription when I got this message from this adorable guy saying “Hey, you went to Bradley and look really familiar. Here’s my IM, let’s chat sometime.” Turned out that this adorable guy was Adam, we had DOZENS of people and stories in common, and figured out quite a few times we’d met before.

Do you ever get scared that you’ll never get to where you want to be? I sometimes feel like I am on a hamster wheel and sometimes I feel like my life, my weight, everything is GREAT and then another week I feel like it is horrible. I wish sometimes I could just be….do you ever have those same fears? This is such a loaded question! There is part of me that wants to say “yes, I get terrified that I’m not really that good at my job, that I’ll be overweight forever, and really don’t want to stay ‘here’ for much longer.” Then, there’s another part of me saying that this, right now, is really the most wonderful things have ever been for me… While yes, sometimes things just suck, and sometimes I get scared, when I get that “hamster wheel” feeling, I make a conscious effort to just get off of it. Change something. Do something I’m scared of.

I’ve been on and off of Weight Watchers for years- and it works really well for me, when I’m that point-counting mode- which is hard to do every single day! How’s your new style of eating going? See any results yet? Can you tell us what you typically eat throughout the day? Thanks! UGH POINT COUNTING MODE!! I know that all too well! I get on the whole Point thing fairly easily, and fall off easily too! I just hate having to overanalyze everything that goes in my mouth. My new eating style is going very very well! According to my bathroom scale (which I get on maybe 2-3 times a week, but really only “take” my Saturday morning weight) I lost 4.5 lbs in my first week eating the way I do. A typical day for me on this plan is:
Breakfast: 2 eggs and 1 egg white scrambled with about 1 c. cooked spinach and 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms, 2 pieces bacon, coffee with half-and-half
Lunch: Usually leftovers from dinner, including additional vegetables. Today was about 2 sliced green peppers and some leftover Italian beef
Snack: Today was a handful of raw almonds. Some days its beef jerky (DYING to try those PrimeSnax that MizFit loves!), some days its avocado or vegetables.
Dinner: Most of you know my dinners already!

As a kid, what was your favorite family meal ? Mine was spag with meat sauce ;) That’s easy. My absolute favorite family meal that was a never-fail, smile on my face meal was when my mom roasted chicken, made garlic roasted potatoes, asparagus, and fillets. My grandma made a very similar meal too, and no matter who made it, I always loved it!

WOW I’m long-winded today… thanks for sticking with me, and don’t forget to Ask Me Anything! I’m LOVING answering all this stuff!

Have a fantastic evening! We’re supposed to get about 8 inches of snow… nothing like you East Coasters, but it still might be enough for a snow day. Keep your fingers crossed!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 8, 2010 at 8:05 PM

The creamed spinach looks to die for! I love the honesty in your answers so much. I think we are all afraid a bit that we won’t accomplish what we want – ‘what if?’ We gotta keep up that positive attitude!

Jenna February 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Thank you for the creamed spinach ‘recipe’! I have never made it before, and have only had it once. But the one time i did have it, I really enjoyed it.

I have always been eyeing up those TJ’s sausages too. I think I just may need to pick some up next time I go.

Have a lovely evening dear!

Christina February 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Our snow was pushed back and upped to 11-13″ :(

Loved the dating article – too funny! I’m so surprised at how many ppl live w/ their parents still out here. Most of J’s friends (30ish) still do and only move out when they get married. I think maybe b/c it’s such a high cost of living out here?

Love the simple creamed spinach recipe! I’ve never had anything creamed at home, just at restaurants.
.-= Christina´s last blog ..Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash =-.

Lauren February 8, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Great answer!!! Julia Child is on my invite list too! Classic! :)

Have a great night sweetie!
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..I Survived…AGAIN! =-.

BethT February 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM

LOVE Eddie Izzard! Little clangy…little jammy…

.-= BethT´s last blog ..The South Is Right =-.

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) February 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I love Trader Joe’s! Our closest one is 75 miles away, but it’s totally worth the trip. Your dinner looks awesome, I have to try your mom’s creamed spinach recipe–YUM!

Hey, I added the same social icon plugin to my site today. I took it off though. :lol:

Jenn
.-= Jenn (www.j3nn.net)´s last blog ..Super Bowl Fun-day =-.

Jenn (eating bender) February 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Random dinners sometimes make the best dinners. I am totally craving that sausage right now!

Loving the answers to your Ask Me Anything section. It’s such a great idea! Reading your story with Adam just made my night so much better :)

I would love to meet Julia Child!
.-= Jenn (eating bender)´s last blog ..Stir-Friday + Guest Bender: Caroline from See Cat Run =-.

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) February 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM

By the way, what is this secret bloggie Valentine’s Day that I keep seeing everywhere? I wanna play, too! :D
.-= Jenn (www.j3nn.net)´s last blog ..Super Bowl Fun-day =-.

elise February 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM

loving the Q&As – i got some great ones on mine too…and i love reading everyones answers!!

im glad we get to see some of the leftovers. im assuming the hummus was gone – at least it would have been if i were at your party.

honestly, creamed spinach is one of the few things that i miss and that i cant make a vegan version of that even comes close to replicating the real deal.
.-= elise´s last blog ..Date night, sorta =-.

Kelly B. February 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Great questions!!! My favorite meal as a kid was spaghetti and my Dad’s homemade meatballs!!! The best!
.-= Kelly B.´s last blog ..Turkey Leg Tuesday!! =-.

Biz February 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Eddie Izzard would definitely be a strange guest! Love this post Mara – hope you don’t have too much trouble getting home tonight! :D
.-= Biz´s last blog ..Overnight Oats and BSI Win! =-.

Stephanie February 9, 2010 at 12:25 PM

That looks like a typical meal that I’d make. Random, yet delicious, and filling!

BODA lose weight

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) February 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM

That creamed spinach looks delicious and simple to make! I love recipes like that!

And those Trader Joe’s sausages are soooo good!
.-= Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat)´s last blog ..stress city. =-.

Quix February 9, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Oh man, that creamed spinach looks amazing – and looks like it can be made without a bunch of calories. I am so trying that soon…

Lara (Thinspired) February 9, 2010 at 1:51 PM

That is my kind of dinner :) Looks so delicious! I’m seeing spinach dip a lot around blogworld lately…I think it’s a sign that I need to make some :)
.-= Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog ..Sunday With Scoop =-.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 9, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Trader Joes is the best isn’t it?? The creamed spinach looks great! I’ve made it before with the cream cheese but not with the sour cream too….will have to give that a shot!
.-= Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat)´s last blog ..135.0 =-.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) February 9, 2010 at 2:35 PM

as a kid, I loved it when my mom made westerns and GRILLED CHEESE! ;)
.-= Shannon (The Daily Balance)´s last blog ..More of your questions…answered =-.

Meghan@traveleatlove February 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM

We love TJ’s chicken sausages. They come in so many different flavors. Thanks for the spinach recipe, it sounds so delicious and decadent!
.-= Meghan@traveleatlove´s last blog ..Restaurant Roundup =-.

K February 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Woohoo for TJs trip! I haven’t been in ages, that should change. I am loving the green pepper/mushroom saute – yum!

I love the Q&As!! If you make kugel, add that to the list of reasons why I need to get to Chicago pronto ;)

The story of how you and Adam met is so cute! Glad you guys finally found each other!!
.-= K´s last blog ..Who Are You =-.