Adventures With Mandoline

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on January 18, 2010

in chicken/turkey, simple recipe

When we registered for our wedding, many of the kitchen gadget decisions were left up to me. Adam agreed that we needed a new can opener, and vegetable peeler, and new measuring cups… but some things were all me. One of these gadgets was something that had both fascinated and scared the crap out of me as long as I’ve been cooking: The mandoline. We registered for this one:

201001181925.jpg
I love any and all Oxo Good Grips gadgets, so I thought that this one would be a great starter. If I loved it, then I could go get a new fancier one. We got the package with the mandoline in it a good two weeks before the wedding, which was almost 2 months ago. The mandoline sat in the drawer, wrapped in plastic, waiting for me to grow a pair and use the darn thing. And then I saw Jessica’s potato-crusted salmon the other day and it hit me: potatoes! Potatoes are relatively safe to cut on a mandoline as they create their own handle. They’re cheap, so if I screw up its not like I’m shaving black truffles. Anyway, when I saw Jessica’s recipe, I wanted to do something similar with sliced potatoes… so to the grocery store I went!

Four chicken breasts and 2 potatoes later, I came out with what I’m calling Scaled Chicken, on the account of the fact it looks like it, well, has scales:

DSCN5503.JPG
The process was simple: season chicken breasts with garlic powder, olive oil, salt and pepper, then layer on thinly sliced rounds of potatoes, slightly overlapping them. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, then broil on high a few minutes to brown the potatoes. I ate mine with some lovely steamed broccoli with a small pat of real butter. I couldn’t help it, I’m watching Julie & Julia!

I had a lovely and relaxing day off today complete with cleaning, cooking, blogging and movie-watching. It’s back to work tomorrow, but there’s always something about a four-day week that ends in pay day that is just a great and happy thought. Also, my principal approved our staff to participate in MarathonVal’s Dress Down for Haiti...so I can wear jeans all week for $1 a day, and raise money for a very worthy cause.

So, back to my original idea… I’ve conquered the mandoline. Is there a kitchen gadget that scares you?

Olga @ Healthing It January 18, 2010 at 8:48 PM

That looks great!

Ummm…let’s see…the thing my dad uses to scale fish? That scares me. Mostly cause I don’t want to touch fish that’s recently deceased :(
.-= Olga @ Healthing It´s last blog ..FBD, baby! =-.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM

That dish looks INCREDIBLE!! I do not have a mandolin – I am still so afraid of them!!
.-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..Living with Hypothyroidism. =-.

Estela @ weekly bite January 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I’ve been wanting a mandolin for a while now! I am intimidated by it though :) Your dish looks incredible!
.-= Estela @ weekly bite´s last blog ..12 Weeks No Diets, Week 3 =-.

Victoria January 18, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Chicken with potato chips on it! Looks awesome. :)
.-= Victoria´s last blog ..I Just Love Pizza =-.

MarathonVal January 18, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Yay for Dress Down! I’d love to know how much your school is able to raise. Have fun dressing casually this week! :)
.-= MarathonVal´s last blog ..I’m hosting BSI this week! =-.

Elizabeth F. January 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM

This looks AMAZING! I will have to break out my mandoline for this one!
.-= Elizabeth F.´s last blog ..15 Things to Make Before You Die – Installment #1 =-.

Ally@Sweet & Savory January 18, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I would definitely agree, I’m afraid the mandoline would cut my fingers off! Chicken dish looks great!

She-Fit January 18, 2010 at 9:44 PM

WOW! This sounds easy to make and really good. I’m a picky eater and I would totally eat this one. I’m going to try it out tomorrow night. Thanks for the recipe :)

Christina January 18, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I hate when they whip out mandolines on cooking shows, b/c they’re always in a hurry and cut themselves! I wish they’d use that handle thingy – if I had one, I know I would!!

I think mandolines probably scare me the most. Also oyster knives – well, not really the knife so much but the whole oyster opening process- it can be dangerous. My dad has a metal glove to wear while he’s doing it b/c sometimes ppl slip and stab their hand!

This looks like such a cool recipe, though! I saw Julie and Julia in the theater, I didn’t really like the Julie half of the movie so much, but the Julia half was AWESOME!
.-= Christina´s last blog ..It’s still a holiday, right!? =-.

Lele January 18, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I just played with a mandoline (my mother’s) for the first time and it was SO FUN! A dangerous, foodie, toy :D

mommagrape January 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM

DOES MY CUCUMBER COUNT? LOL. HEARD U CAN USE THAT AS A GADGET SORRY LOL . JUST COULDNT RESIST

sophia January 18, 2010 at 11:14 PM

This was so…damn…COOL!! Mimi just bought a mandoline, and I’ll be playing around with it, too. Love it. I usually just use my handy trusty knife, but if I have free access to a shiny new object that cuts things, why not?

Haha, watching Julie and Julia made me appreciate butter more, too. I watched it 3 times, and still love it. Oh, and I’m SO craving a beef bourguignon!!
.-= sophia´s last blog ..Hey Vegans, Can We Be Friends? =-.

The Cookbook Apprentice January 18, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I know just how you feel! I’ve had fear of mandolines for quite some time and I have yet to confront it. Good for you for taking on the challenge and making a yummy dinner! I got married 17 years ago and told my bridesmaids I HAD to have a Cuisenart food processor. It sat on my shelf until about 2 years ago and when I finally took it out it didn’t work. Slightly past the warrantee. So I bought a Kitchen Aid FP. That sat on my shelf for one year until one night I was making a potato kugel and my hands were killing me from grating fatigue. I finally broke it out and couldn’t get over how much easier it made it all. Love it now. So maybe I should follow your lead with the mandoline : ).
.-= The Cookbook Apprentice´s last blog ..Cranberry Turkey Loaf, Spinach Pancakes and Mr. Food =-.

Lauren January 19, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Mandolins scare to me pieces but I really like the end effect that it does to the food.

You dinner looks BEAUTIFUL! Just like you my darling! :)
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..This Day is Going My Way =-.

Julie @savvyeats January 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Mandolins scare me but I really want to get one…

Almost all of the kitchen items on our registry are up to me, too. ;)
.-= Julie @savvyeats´s last blog ..An Ode to Quinoa =-.

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats January 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Ooo – I love mandolins – make everything so much easier, don’t you think?

I’m afraid of the immersion stick blender. I know my kitchen would be sprayed with whatever I was using it on, within 10 seconds of turning it on!!
.-= Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats´s last blog ..Obsessed =-.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 19, 2010 at 11:21 AM

OMG! I love my stick blender! I just keep it as close to the bottom of the mixing bowl/pot/whatever so it doesn’t spray, and I make SURE it’s stopped before I take it out.

The Paris Food Blague January 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM

i just got a mandoline, and am so glad! great post!

Karla January 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Wow! That looks so beautiful! I’ve always wanted a mandolin!
.-= Karla´s last blog ..Stocking up + New Thing! =-.

Biz January 19, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Love how your dish turned out – and beware – with skinny potatoes like that – they make the best homemade potato chips! Of course, we use the deep fryer (hope you didn’t register for one of those – its dangerous!) but maybe you could bake them??

Hooray for a great day off!

Kelly B. January 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I was actually very intimidated by a food processor. Then once I finally used it I was was HOOKED!! haha!
.-= Kelly B.´s last blog ..Do you DVD? =-.

brandi January 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM

that looks awesome! we don’t have a mandoline, so that’s one thing I want when we get a bigger kitchen :)

Casey @SpicyandSweet January 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Yep…I’m scared of many kitchen gadgets. Mainly, the electric knife! M dad uses it to cut turkey and I leave the room every time! I’m always afraid he’s going to slice off a finger!

Beth (Mackattack) January 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I’m pretty low tech. Knives scare me! Dan cut his finger really badly today. Yikes!
.-= Beth (Mackattack)´s last blog ..Shepherd’s pie recipe =-.

mommagrape January 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM

immersion stick blender??? *heeeehehehehehE*
.-= mommagrape´s last blog ..All Shook Up =-.

Quix January 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM

So purdy! I love it. And I don’t food process well. It kinda frightens me. And I usually end up getting a little finger skin in whatever I’m grating if I do it manually, LOL.