Adventures With Mandoline

When we registered for our wedding, many of the kitchen gadget decisions were left up to me. Adam agreed that we needed a new can opener, and vegetable peeler, and new measuring cups… but some things were all me. One of these gadgets was something that had both fascinated and scared the crap out of me as long as I’ve been cooking: The mandoline. We registered for this one:

201001181925.jpg
I love any and all Oxo Good Grips gadgets, so I thought that this one would be a great starter. If I loved it, then I could go get a new fancier one. We got the package with the mandoline in it a good two weeks before the wedding, which was almost 2 months ago. The mandoline sat in the drawer, wrapped in plastic, waiting for me to grow a pair and use the darn thing. And then I saw Jessica’s potato-crusted salmon the other day and it hit me: potatoes! Potatoes are relatively safe to cut on a mandoline as they create their own handle. They’re cheap, so if I screw up its not like I’m shaving black truffles. Anyway, when I saw Jessica’s recipe, I wanted to do something similar with sliced potatoes… so to the grocery store I went!

Four chicken breasts and 2 potatoes later, I came out with what I’m calling Scaled Chicken, on the account of the fact it looks like it, well, has scales:

DSCN5503.JPG
The process was simple: season chicken breasts with garlic powder, olive oil, salt and pepper, then layer on thinly sliced rounds of potatoes, slightly overlapping them. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, then broil on high a few minutes to brown the potatoes. I ate mine with some lovely steamed broccoli with a small pat of real butter. I couldn’t help it, I’m watching Julie & Julia!

I had a lovely and relaxing day off today complete with cleaning, cooking, blogging and movie-watching. It’s back to work tomorrow, but there’s always something about a four-day week that ends in pay day that is just a great and happy thought. Also, my principal approved our staff to participate in MarathonVal’s Dress Down for Haiti...so I can wear jeans all week for $1 a day, and raise money for a very worthy cause.

So, back to my original idea… I’ve conquered the mandoline. Is there a kitchen gadget that scares you?

This entry was posted in chicken/turkey, simple recipe and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Adventures With Mandoline

1. That looks great!

Ummm…let’s see…the thing my dad uses to scale fish? That scares me. Mostly cause I don’t want to touch fish that’s recently deceased :(
    .-= Olga @ Healthing It´s last blog ..FBD, baby! =-.

2. That dish looks INCREDIBLE!! I do not have a mandolin – I am still so afraid of them!!
    .-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..Living with Hypothyroidism. =-.

3. I’ve been wanting a mandolin for a while now! I am intimidated by it though :) Your dish looks incredible!
    .-= Estela @ weekly bite´s last blog ..12 Weeks No Diets, Week 3 =-.

4. Victoria says:

Chicken with potato chips on it! Looks awesome. :)
    .-= Victoria´s last blog ..I Just Love Pizza =-.

5. MarathonVal says:

Yay for Dress Down! I’d love to know how much your school is able to raise. Have fun dressing casually this week! :)
    .-= MarathonVal´s last blog ..I’m hosting BSI this week! =-.

6. Elizabeth F. says:

This looks AMAZING! I will have to break out my mandoline for this one!
    .-= Elizabeth F.´s last blog ..15 Things to Make Before You Die – Installment #1 =-.

7. I would definitely agree, I’m afraid the mandoline would cut my fingers off! Chicken dish looks great!

8. She-Fit says:

WOW! This sounds easy to make and really good. I’m a picky eater and I would totally eat this one. I’m going to try it out tomorrow night. Thanks for the recipe :)

9. Christina says:

I hate when they whip out mandolines on cooking shows, b/c they’re always in a hurry and cut themselves! I wish they’d use that handle thingy – if I had one, I know I would!!

I think mandolines probably scare me the most. Also oyster knives – well, not really the knife so much but the whole oyster opening process- it can be dangerous. My dad has a metal glove to wear while he’s doing it b/c sometimes ppl slip and stab their hand!

This looks like such a cool recipe, though! I saw Julie and Julia in the theater, I didn’t really like the Julie half of the movie so much, but the Julia half was AWESOME!
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..It’s still a holiday, right!? =-.

10. Lele says:

I just played with a mandoline (my mother’s) for the first time and it was SO FUN! A dangerous, foodie, toy :D

11. mommagrape says:

DOES MY CUCUMBER COUNT? LOL. HEARD U CAN USE THAT AS A GADGET SORRY LOL . JUST COULDNT RESIST

12. sophia says:

This was so…damn…COOL!! Mimi just bought a mandoline, and I’ll be playing around with it, too. Love it. I usually just use my handy trusty knife, but if I have free access to a shiny new object that cuts things, why not?

Haha, watching Julie and Julia made me appreciate butter more, too. I watched it 3 times, and still love it. Oh, and I’m SO craving a beef bourguignon!!
    .-= sophia´s last blog ..Hey Vegans, Can We Be Friends? =-.

13. I know just how you feel! I’ve had fear of mandolines for quite some time and I have yet to confront it. Good for you for taking on the challenge and making a yummy dinner! I got married 17 years ago and told my bridesmaids I HAD to have a Cuisenart food processor. It sat on my shelf until about 2 years ago and when I finally took it out it didn’t work. Slightly past the warrantee. So I bought a Kitchen Aid FP. That sat on my shelf for one year until one night I was making a potato kugel and my hands were killing me from grating fatigue. I finally broke it out and couldn’t get over how much easier it made it all. Love it now. So maybe I should follow your lead with the mandoline : ).
    .-= The Cookbook Apprentice´s last blog ..Cranberry Turkey Loaf, Spinach Pancakes and Mr. Food =-.

14. Lauren says:

Mandolins scare to me pieces but I really like the end effect that it does to the food.

You dinner looks BEAUTIFUL! Just like you my darling! :)
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..This Day is Going My Way =-.

15. Mandolins scare me but I really want to get one…

Almost all of the kitchen items on our registry are up to me, too. ;)
    .-= Julie @savvyeats´s last blog ..An Ode to Quinoa =-.

16. Ooo – I love mandolins – make everything so much easier, don’t you think?

I’m afraid of the immersion stick blender. I know my kitchen would be sprayed with whatever I was using it on, within 10 seconds of turning it on!!
    .-= Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats´s last blog ..Obsessed =-.

17. i just got a mandoline, and am so glad! great post!

18. Karla says:

Wow! That looks so beautiful! I’ve always wanted a mandolin!
    .-= Karla´s last blog ..Stocking up + New Thing! =-.

19. Biz says:

Love how your dish turned out – and beware – with skinny potatoes like that – they make the best homemade potato chips! Of course, we use the deep fryer (hope you didn’t register for one of those – its dangerous!) but maybe you could bake them??

Hooray for a great day off!

20. Kelly B. says:

I was actually very intimidated by a food processor. Then once I finally used it I was was HOOKED!! haha!
    .-= Kelly B.´s last blog ..Do you DVD? =-.

21. brandi says:

that looks awesome! we don’t have a mandoline, so that’s one thing I want when we get a bigger kitchen :)

22. Yep…I’m scared of many kitchen gadgets. Mainly, the electric knife! M dad uses it to cut turkey and I leave the room every time! I’m always afraid he’s going to slice off a finger!

23. I’m pretty low tech. Knives scare me! Dan cut his finger really badly today. Yikes!
    .-= Beth (Mackattack)´s last blog ..Shepherd’s pie recipe =-.

24. mommagrape says:

immersion stick blender??? *heeeehehehehehE*
    .-= mommagrape´s last blog ..All Shook Up =-.

25. Quix says:

So purdy! I love it. And I don’t food process well. It kinda frightens me. And I usually end up getting a little finger skin in whatever I’m grating if I do it manually, LOL.