Wedding Week Recap!

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on December 2, 2009

in dinner out, family, fish or seafood, friends

I know, I’ve been gone for a while… getting back to reality after the crazy and amazing week I had last week has been a little difficult, and that includes blogging. But I’m back, and ready with a week-long recap for you! Are you sitting down? Get comfortable, this is going to be a long one, and it may take some time to load, as it’s very photo-heavy…but worth it!

Monday, November 23

I worked a normal school day full of meetings and inservices, and got home to find my dad sitting on our couch! I hadn’t seen my dad since our engagement party in January, and I was so excited to see him! We sat and talked for a while, then headed out for dinner. We went to Sushi Station for a light dinner, and then to Yogen Früz since he’d never had it (with living in Oregon and all). Then, we went to Macy’s to find a tie for him for the wedding, and went our separate ways after that, at least for that day. I had a busy few days ahead of me!

Tuesday, November 24

At about 10 a.m. I left for my mom’s house. Why you might ask? Well, when my mom and dad got married, my mom and her mom spent a day baking a challah for their wedding. I wanted to do the same thing! My sister came over as well, and we got to work. After mixing and kneading the dough, letting it rise an hour, then punching it down and rising again, it was time to braid. In the end we came out with one HUGE challah, two smaller ones, and three mini ones:

DSCN5127.JPG

DSCN5130.JPG

Wednesday, November 25
It was a hair day! I met my mom at our favorite hair place for highlights, an eyebrow wax (desperately needed) and a professional blow-dry. The result was fantastic, but of course, I forgot to take a picture! I then spent the remainder of the afternoon dodging “Blackout Wednesday” traffic to get our centerpieces and other supplies to our wedding venue, then picking up Lizz’s bridesmaid’s dress from the tailor. We had sandwiches from Boloney’s for dinner, and I believe I was asleep by 10 p.m.

Thursday, November 26
Thanksgiving day! I debated not being a food blogger and just enjoying the day, but I realized that, down the line, I’d be bummed if I didn’t document the meal. My mom’s best friend put out an amazing spread as usual, and no one was left with an empty stomach. Just a sampling of the eats:

DSCN5131 DSCN5132 DSCN5133 DSCN5134 DSCN5135
DSCN5136 DSCN5140

Friday, November 27
Rehearsal day! Adam had to work Black Friday morning at his part-time job, so I spent the morning getting last minute things together and packing my bag for two nights. When he got home, we went for lunch, and then drove down to our wedding venue for a quick rehearsal with everyone involved. The guys left after that, and the girls went to get manicures and pedicures.

DSCN5141 DSCN5142 DSCN5143

Afterwards, we drove like crazy people to the rehearsal dinner at Gino’s East Pizzeria for some Chicago-style deep-dish pizza, salad, and pasta. At that point, I said bye to Adam until the wedding! We still talked later in the night, but it was odd not seeing each other.

Saturday, November 28
Wedding day!!! I’ll let the pictures tell the story… it was truly the happiest and best day of my life so far.

16541_226340724545_523684545_4335208_5278363_n.jpg

16541_226428339545_523684545_4336298_7932207_n.jpg

DSCN5180.JPG

16541_226414744545_523684545_4336244_1552676_n.jpg

16541_228380379545_523684545_4358352_996127_n.jpg

Mara & Adam_0491 E.jpg

Mara & Adam_0515.jpg

Mara & Adam_0527- E.jpg

Mara & Adam_0819- E.jpg

16456_504317063494_109300341_30109542_5470033_n.jpg

Mara & Adam_0699- E.jpg

We spent the night dancing, celebrating, and well, it was the best wedding EVER! I’m beyond thrilled with how well it all went, and even MORE thrilled to be married to my amazing HUSBAND (I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of saying that!) We were beyond exhausted by the time the night was over, and made a rather surprising decision for:

Sunday, November 29
Rather than staying in a hotel for Sunday night, Adam and I opted to go home and sleep in our own bed. We had some friends in from out of town we wanted to see before they left, and the measly 4 hours of sleep Saturday night just weren’t cutting it! We both took long naps after brunch, and decided to spend our “hotel money” on a great dinner out to celebrate. We went to Shaw’s Crab House near our house for a fantastic meal.
(I know what you’re thinking…enough with the wedding stuff and get onto some food!)

We started with a spicy crab california roll:

DSCN5184.JPG
And shared a cup of the amazingly creamy clam chowder:

DSCN5185.JPG

We decided to really splurge and get what we REALLY wanted, so I got King crab legs, the best I’ve ever had:

DSCN5186.JPG

Adam (the HUSBAND! Notice his ring?!?!) got these Nantucket scallops with spinach:

DSCN5187.JPG

Rather than getting dessert at the restaurant, we opted instead to have dessert at home. On Saturday, we didn’t get ONE piece of our wedding cake! Well, we each got a tiny bite when we cut it, but that was IT! So what did we do? We had slices of our top tier! Instead of saving it for a full year, we had one piece Sunday, we’ll have another Saturday (to celebrate one week married) another at one month after the honeymoon, another at 6 months, and the rest at a year.
This cake was alternating chocolate and red velvet with milk chocolate buttercream and white icing:

DSCN5189.JPG

(Are you still here?)

Thank you for reading the recap of the BEST week of my life… here’s to a hundred more years! Adam, I love you more than anything!

Speaking of honeymoons: We leave for our honeymoon December 19, and obviously, I’ll need guest posters! Send me an email if you’re interested!

Meghan@traveleatlove December 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Yayayayay! LOVE challah and yours is amazing! I want to make my own. Everything looks so fun and beautiful, and I love that you stayed at home and opted to go for a great meal out. I will email you regarding guest posting, your blog is one of my faves and if I had some time would love to write for you.
I have been married a little over 3 years, and let me tell you the best is yet to come!!
.-= Meghan@traveleatlove´s last blog ..Travel Close to Home =-.

Foodie McBody December 2, 2009 at 9:27 PM

So thrilled for you!!!!!!!! You look gorgeous. And so happy. Congratulations on your life together!! My hub and I just celebrated 22 years together and yeah, the best is yet to come. Truly.
.-= Foodie McBody´s last blog ..Bleah. =-.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) December 2, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Congrats, Mara!

Such a beautiful celebration!!

I love the tradition of the challah you kept alive with your mom — one day you can do the same with your daughter!

The Mister and I are going on year 4 and I still think back on our wedding day as the best.day.ever. So happy to hear your day went so well — how could it not with such a beautiful, happy couple?!

Cheers and love to you both!
.-= Shannon (The Daily Balance)´s last blog ..Daily Delish – A delicious verdict =-.

Spiceaholic December 2, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Mara, thanks for sharing your special day with us! Congrats again! And I’m definitely interested in guest-posting.
.-= Spiceaholic´s last blog ..Wednesday night treats =-.

mackattack December 2, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Congratulations! It looked like a fabulous day! Can’t wait to see more pictures!
.-= mackattack´s last blog ..A Whole Bird =-.

laura December 2, 2009 at 10:18 PM

what an AMAZING week! Congrats Mara!! It all looks so lovely. I love your shoes and his tie matching nice touch. I’ll guest post for you if you need anymore for your honeymoon.
.-= laura´s last blog ..Savory Sweet Potato Pie =-.

FoodCents December 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM

So many congrats to you, beautiful lady!!! (did you notice I held of from “Mazeling” you :)

You are beautiful and so happy it was such a great day for you!!!
.-= FoodCents´s last blog ..CHEESE & CRACKERS =-.

nina December 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM

congrats mara. everything (including you) looked perfect and beautiful. i showed emma the pix and she said “oooh i hope she wears that dress to camp!” she’s five. what can i say?

alice @ eataduckimust December 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM

CONGRATULATIONS TO MR. AND MRS. IMADEDINNER!!! =)
.-= alice @ eataduckimust´s last blog ..ZSAT: Osaka, Ippudo Ramen =-.

Kristie Lynn December 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM

The challah baking is such a neat tradition! Beautiful wedding photos, and such a wonderful occasion deserves prime space on this post :)
.-= Kristie Lynn´s last blog ..Esas son puras mentiras, esa noche yo no andaba alli =-.

Meggilizz December 2, 2009 at 10:55 PM

CONGRATS MRS MARAFAYE!!!!!!! :D I’m so jealous of your food over the past week!!!
.-= Meggilizz´s last blog ..I’m every woman! =-.

suzanne December 2, 2009 at 11:03 PM

What beautiful pictures :) Congrats on such a wonderful wedding!
.-= suzanne´s last blog ..Question Day Again!! =-.

Christina December 2, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Ahh so exciting!!!! Wow, that is quite a Thanksgiving spread! I love the wedding pic of you guys in the background of the cake and also the last one – you both look so happy and I love the beautiful flowers on the staircase and you jsut look SO beautiful!!!
.-= Christina´s last blog ..Low-Fat Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake =-.

Lara (Thinspired) December 2, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Mara, you were such a beautiful bride! You look so happy and just glowy. I am so happy for you both! The cake is gorgeous, I love how your shoes matched it!
.-= Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog ..Tw-eat Like Me =-.

Olga @ Healthing It December 2, 2009 at 11:45 PM

YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL AND HAPPY!!! CONGRATS!!! :)
.-= Olga @ Healthing It´s last blog ..Herring fillet in a fur coat =-.

Melissa S. December 3, 2009 at 12:14 AM

omg you are absolutely beautiful!!!! i’m so happy for you!!!
.-= Melissa S.´s last blog ..Not So Balanced =-.

Madeleine @ Notes On A Page December 3, 2009 at 12:48 AM

What a great day — congratulations! You should put up more pictures! It looks like you had a fabulous day :)
.-= Madeleine @ Notes On A Page´s last blog ..Amazing =-.

Mama Pea December 3, 2009 at 2:30 AM

OH Mara. It just looks like everything went wonderfully. I hope it was all you had dreamed of. I think you guys will be so happy together forever.
.-= Mama Pea´s last blog ..So Sneaky =-.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 3, 2009 at 6:56 AM

Looks wonderful!!! :)

VeggieGirl December 3, 2009 at 7:21 AM

You and Adam are SUCH a beautiful couple; and you definitely got married in style! :-D Congratulations again, my dear friend!
.-= VeggieGirl´s last blog ..Thanksgiving 2009, Part 1: The Who & The Where =-.

Lauren December 3, 2009 at 7:54 AM

MARA!!!!!! OH MY GOSH, you are soooooooooo unbeleiveably stunning. Ahhh! I am so excited for you and I it looks as though your day was pure heaven. A million Congratulations to you and Adam. May your lives be entirely enriched and fulfilled with unending love and overwhleming happies!!!

Love you girl!

ps- I will DEFINITELY send you a guest post!!!! I have some free times on my hands being off work for awhile, so this is perfect timing.
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..I’m Alive! =-.

Kimberly Lee December 3, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Congratulations Mara! I am wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness.
.-= Kimberly Lee´s last blog ..25 Weeks =-.

K December 3, 2009 at 9:10 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I think that’s so sweet that you continued the challah tradition. The pictures are gorgeous – you two look so happy!
.-= K´s last blog ..Little Saint Nick =-.

Angie (Losing It and Loving It) December 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Congrats! Looks and sounds like you had a very nice wedding. I love the blue tie, shoes and cake! Absolutely breathtaking. Love how you’re doing the cake because at 1 year the cake is not all it’s cracked up to be LOL Well ours was not anyway but your cake looks yummy!

Where is the honeymoon? Looking forward to pictures.
.-= Angie (Losing It and Loving It)´s last blog ..Winner winner and pizza dinner =-.

brandi December 3, 2009 at 9:46 AM

congrats again to you two! Everything looks beautiful :)

Betsy December 3, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Wonderful recap, you’re really exuding happiness in every photo! And you’ll be leaving for your honeymoon on my wedding day. :)
.-= Betsy´s last blog ..Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Parade & Pasta Party =-.

Lauren December 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Fantastic post! You look gorgeous and soooo happy :). CONGRATS!

I’ve never made my own challah, but it’s on my list. My grandmother always used to use leftovers for french toast. Mmmm.

I’d love to do a guest post while you are away on your honeymoon! What kind of recipes are you looking for?
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..Stuffed Cinnamon Pumpkin French Toast =-.

Quix December 3, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Congrats! Sounds like a wonderful week! I’m so happy everything came together to make your day just so awesome. :) Honestly, after our wedding, we stayed in Vegas an extra day and we were both ready to be home as well so I don’t blame you. After all that prep and stress and excitement you are just EXHAUSTED. And you look gorgeous, dahling!
.-= Quix´s last blog ..Photobooth Phollies =-.

Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well December 3, 2009 at 11:22 AM

OMG, that challah looks incredible! I don’t know that I can ever buy store made again, so let your mom know I’ll be placing an order! :D

And once again, you look absolutely radiant in these shots. Any chance there’s a close up of your shoes? They look adorable!

Congrats to you and your love again, doll!
.-= Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well´s last blog ..Recipe: Spicy Turkey & Chipotle Pepper Soup =-.

Mandy Young December 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM

YAH!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! I am sooo happy for you and LOVE the pictures!!!!
.-= Mandy Young´s last blog ..UPDATE AND NEW NOVEMBER CHALLENGE… =-.

Rose December 3, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Woo Woo! I have been waiting for this recap! You look beautiful – so happy for you and Adam! Weeeeee!
.-= Rose´s last blog ..Kind of a Big Deal =-.

Lizz December 3, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I just realized I never had any cake!!! There was dinner, wine, ice cream, baily’s (yum), and dancing…I must have missed it. =( Oh well, I guess I just need to get married now so I can have some wedding cake.

Meghann December 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM

CONGRATS!!! loved the recap and you looked STUNNING on your big day! :)
.-= Meghann´s last blog ..Send Me Your Best and Worst Race Photos! =-.

Ashley December 3, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Awww, Mara, congratulations!! Everything looks amazing — especially you!!

Cheers to you two! ;)
.-= Ashley´s last blog ..Breakfast for dinner =-.

MizFit December 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM

wow. love this. all of it. THANK YOU for sharing it with us, the great unwashed masses :)
.-= MizFit´s last blog ..First Person Friday: A MizFit Shabbat. =-.

Andrea (Off Her Cork) December 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Mara, I loved this recap! Your happiness and excitement just shines through. :D

cinnamonquill December 4, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Gorgeous work! It looks like you had a wonderful time!
.-= cinnamonquill´s last blog ..Believing in Bread =-.

Michelle December 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Look at you!!! I’m SO happy that you’re so happy Mara!!! You make a wedding day sound like a day to live for! Which I’m sure it is!!! I still cannot believe how gorgeous the dress is…I gotta make sure I talk to you before I make my dress plans. Hahaha
Sleeping in your own bed sounds fantastic after a long day of festivities. I hope you share your honey moon pictures!! Where are you and Adam going?
.-= Michelle´s last blog ..Frontera Grill by Rick Bayless =-.

MarathonVal December 4, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Congrats Mara! You looked absolutely stunning, and so happy! I’m thrilled for you! :)
.-= MarathonVal´s last blog ..3 Vegan Christmas cookies! =-.

glidingcalm December 5, 2009 at 12:31 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! I love catching up!! The photos are soo soo sooo beautiful and I am so happy for you!! Congrats congrats congrats!!!

I think the baking of challah is such an amazing tradition!!! (And god does that look amazing!! I bet I would have had half the loaf right there and then!!! If I ever come back, I will pay you to make me some Mara challah!!!

Hurray for so many amazing things in such an amazing post!!
I can’t stop saying how happy I am for you!!

HUGS!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!

P.S. THAT CAKE!! LOOKS SOO GOOD!!
.-= glidingcalm´s last blog ..Maqui Superfruit Energy Drink Mix! (and GC love!) =-.

One Healthy Apple December 5, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Congrats! You were a beautiful bride! I loved your cake and your chuppah was so beautiful!! Mazel Tov!

P.S. We totally bought our challah at a bakery on the way to the ceremony!
.-= One Healthy Apple´s last blog ..Guest Post- Hubby’s Debut! =-.

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) December 5, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Congratulations! Loved the recap! You look so happy!
.-= Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food)´s last blog ..And the winner is… =-.

Erin December 5, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Congrats Mara!!! You look so unbelievably happy in your photos! Mazel Tov to you and Adam!
.-= Erin´s last blog ..Southern Hospitality. =-.

Wiggs (The Beholder) December 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM

WOW, WOW, WOW. What a beautiful wedding, and an even MORE beautiful bride. Isn’t it fun saying husband? I feel like I’m playing house every time I say it.

Also, hit me up if you’d like me to do a guest post. I’ll actually have time because finals will be over and I’d love to help a sister out. I get so stressed when I travel and don’t have time to post.
.-= Wiggs (The Beholder)´s last blog ..Ah, Wiggs, you are so sporadic =-.

Jocelyn December 5, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Hey girl! CONGRATZ!!!! You look absolutely stunning! And your hubby is so very handsome :):) Everything looks beautiful! So glad you had a fab day. I love the choice of sleeping in your own bed that night and saving money for a yummy dinner :)

Your cake is beautiful by the way and looks sooo yummy!!!

Congratz again!

Leah @ Simply fabulous December 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I’m sorry that i’m so late on this but I wanted to tell you how beautiful you looked on your wedding day! Congrats to you and your HUSBAND! I hope you are enjoying married life so far xo
.-= Leah @ Simply fabulous´s last blog ..My apologies =-.

Karla December 5, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Congratulations! You look beautiful and glowing! I love your dress and your blue shoes!

I have a mild obsession with weddings :)
.-= Karla´s last blog ..Snow + Squash =-.

Diana December 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Mara – you look stunning. Love the shoes, that match the tie and the cake, great choice. Congrats!
.-= Diana´s last blog ..Holiday Gift Guide: Certified Humane Beef – and Win a Sampler Too! =-.