I Heart Whole Foods

by Mara @ What's For Dinner? on November 16, 2009

in dinner out, fish or seafood, tofu, vegetarian

After work today, I had to drive out to my mom’s office for some wedding related stuff. My mom’s office is in a suburb which is right near the day camp that I work at all summer. This suburb has all sorts of wonderful things in it that we don’t yet have out here in chain-restaurant-ville… but most importantly, it has a HUGE and GORGEOUS Whole Foods!

This specific whole foods has not one, not two, but THREE enormous salad and hot bars, everything is constantly refreshed and it has, by far, the BEST selection of different foods I’ve ever seen at any Whole Foods. I haven’t had Whole Foods hot bar in months, and when I realized that my route home from my mom’s office would take me RIGHT past this mecca of food goodness, I knew what dinner was going to be.

I noticed immediately that the store had been rearranged because just to the left of the door was a wall of bars. Every single kind of bar I’ve ever wanted to try was sitting there, beckoning… I managed to restrain myself:

DSCN5081.JPG
Snacks for the rest of the week!

Then I perused the hot and cold bars for a while. I thought and thought, and eventually decided on what dinner would be. I didn’t want a ridiculous conglomeration of odd foods, but I wanted some variety.

I decided on a spicy tuna roll from the sushi bar, which I thought was brown rice, but alas, it was not. Still delicious!

DSCN5079.JPG
I love Whole Foods’ spicy sauce. It’s not too mayo-y.

I also, of course, got a container of some salad randomness:

DSCN5080.JPG
Romaine, spinach, topped with hummus, cucumbers, marinated mushrooms, baked tofu, and a small spoonful of the best macaroni and cheese

I’m quite satisfied. There’s a little bit of hummus and mushrooms left, and I’m trying to decide whether or not to save it for later or eat it now! there’s some pumpkin ice cream in the freezer calling my name…

You tell me, what’s your biggest Whole Foods/Health food store weakness?

VeggieGirl November 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I’m at Whole Foods 2-3 times per week (see my Facebook status about that…), and I love their fresh, house-made guacamole. Daily staple!
.-= VeggieGirl´s last blog ..Whenever I Am Feeling… It Will All Be Okay Again =-.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM

OH geez, I can only go like once every 2 weeks because it is kinda far away. The hot bar kills me – though not for the healthy stuff you got. More like mac n cheese. And have you ever had the chocolate chewies?!?! OMG!!
.-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..Bacon Gorgonzola Stuffed Baby Red Potatoes. =-.

(( Ms. K. )) November 16, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I love their bakery goods, esp the cranberry nut bread. Don’t remember the exact name but I would always buy 20 something pieces.
.-= (( Ms. K. ))´s last blog ..Friday, July 06, 2007 =-.

Estela @ weekly bite November 16, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Cheese and Bakery samples!!!!! HUGE WEAKNESS!!!!
.-= Estela @ weekly bite´s last blog ..Meet Shiner =-.

Lauren November 16, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I can’t walk past the fresh bread station. The smell of freshly baked bread gets me every time. I’ll buy every single well overpiced loaf of the fancy weekly speical bread. Last week, it was apple crumble, this week it was pumpkin peacan. Oh my, how I have no control.

Glad you had a great day Mara! :)

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 16, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I love Whole Foods too. I am craving one of their sandwiches!!!
.-= Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat)´s last blog ..Bad Romance =-.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) November 16, 2009 at 9:35 PM

whole foods is the BEST! I love their fish selection, and cheese and bakery and gourmet cafe — gahhhh I love it all!
.-= Shannon (The Daily Balance)´s last blog ..Daily Delish – Liquid Planet =-.

MizFit November 17, 2009 at 6:54 AM

come to austin then as we have the FLAGSHIP whole foods!!
.-= MizFit´s last blog ..MizFit Exposed. =-.

Heather November 17, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Oh man, I’m a sucker for the bulk bins…trail mix, nuts, grains. I come home with enough to feed an army!!!!!!
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Be grateful! =-.

brandi November 17, 2009 at 10:16 AM

so jealous of WF!!!

Hm…I just spend way too much time looking! I get sucked in and lose track of time at our little health food store.
.-= brandi´s last blog ..Four Corners =-.

Elaine November 17, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Oh jealous! My biggest weakness is everything because the nearest Whole Foods is about an hour and a half away from me! I spend above and beyond a normal grocery bill when I go there, but it’s so worth it!

Quix November 17, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I’ve never had a whole foods meal, and we have one right down the street. I’ll have to give it a try one day…
.-= Quix´s last blog ..Cruel to Be Kind =-.

glidingcalm November 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM

So much goodness in one posT!!
i am dying to try the coconut cream lara!!

HOT BAR! yessssss
SUSHI yesssssssssssss!
.-= glidingcalm´s last blog ..Gliding Calm Special Edition: Earrings from Around Blogland! =-.

Spiceaholic November 18, 2009 at 7:37 AM

I could easily spend hours there! I do have a weakness for the hot bar, and the mac and cheese calls my name. I’ve heard good things about their pizza bar so that might be next.
.-= Spiceaholic´s last blog ..Good things are coming soon . . . =-.

Marianne November 20, 2009 at 11:17 PM

I love to just browse food stores and look for new/different items. It could be anything from cereal to sauces, bulk items to snacks. If it’s got flavours and foods I want in it, I just might buy it.

And you know, I’ve yet to try out Whole Foods hot bar. Every time I go in there, I check out all the tasty offerings, but I’m never there around meal time. Maybe I’ll have to make an effort to try after one of my finals on the way home, as a bit of a celebration :)
.-= Marianne´s last blog ..Another Week Bites The Dust =-.

GIGI December 10, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I have gone to Whole Foods every single day for the past week!!!!! It’s ridiculous!! My weakness at Whole Foods is as follows…
- Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Cinnamon Butternut Squash
- Salmon Belly
- Sashimi of Salmon, Tuna, Hamachi
- Roasted Vegetables
- Marinated Mushrooms (like the ones in your salad!)
- Spinach Saag

Oh man this list could go on and on… lately I have been incredibly obsessed with that butternut squash! I eat it for breakfast every day mixed with canned pureed pumpkin! SO GOOD!!! Cannot wait for breakfast! ha ah! Oh wait, no, cannot wait to go to Whole Foods AGAIN tomorrow!!! :)