Tofurrito!

Tonight’s meal was, yet again, inspired by what was on sale at the grocery store! It’s not quite Poor Girl Eats Well cheap, but it’s still pretty darn inexpensive. I got out of work a little late today (ok, like a half hour late) and then headed to the grocery store with NO idea what I was looking for other than some protein for a special BBQ tomorrow.

I walked through the produce section first, as always, and was THRILLED to see baby spinach, buy one get one free, so that went into the hand basket. My favorite organic extra firm tofu, Nasoya, was on sale too! Usually $2.99, today it was 2/$4 so two containers went into the hand basket. Next, baby tomatoes were only $1.00, and my favorite La Tortilla Factory wraps were 2/$7 (which is a HUGE discount!)

You may have noticed that I said “hand basket” instead of “cart”. When I’m grocery shopping for a small amount of things (or intend to shop for only a few things) I grab a hand basket instead of a cart. I alternate arms, and look like an ass idiot doing bicep curls with it.

Anyway back to the shopping. Chicken was on sale too, as well as the intended protein for the BBQ, and a new flavor of Turtle Mountain coconut milk ice cream: COOKIE DOUGH! I’ve seen this all over blogs and have been dying to try it! It wasn’t on sale… but it never is! Finally, I came to the refrigerated condiment and fancy cheese section and grabbed a container of my favorite hummus: Sabra Original. Cheap you might ask? Oh yes, be jealous, thanks to Twitter and a contest hosted by Sabra, I got a coupon for a FREE TUB of Sabra hummus! FREE HUMMUS!!!

Of course, I have to stop at the grocery store on my way home again tomorrow because I forgot cereal and charcoal. Oh well, maybe they’ll be on sale too!

OH, and I have to confess: I did not go to Jazzercise. By the time I got out of work, done with the grocery store and post office, it was already past starting time. Things happen for a reason though…

On to dinner (which well, would make sense, right?) This is not so much a recipe as it is a procedure, and the ingredients are delicious as is, but could be changed. I wrote this "procedure” in 6th grade expository essay style. I call this:

The Tofurrito

First, slice a brick of extra firm tofu into 12 slices, lay on a bed of paper towels, cover with more paper towels, and another cookie sheet. Weight with a couple heavy books, a cast iron skillet, a small child… just enough to squish most of the moisture out of the tofu. Allow it to sit at least a half hour.

Next, remove the heavy objects and paper towels, and drizzle about 2 tsp. of olive oil over the tops of all the slices (2 tsp. total, not on each slice). Sprinkle with adobo seasoning or garlic powder and chili powder.

Then, heat a large skillet with non-stick spray. Add the tofu, seasoning side down to the pan. Sprinkle more adobo on top. Flip the tofu slices after the under side is well browned, and brown the other side. Keep the tofu warm as you assemble the wrap.

Place a high-fiber wrap of your choice on a plate. Smear with 1/4 of a smashed avocado:

DSCN2602Then, add about 1 cup of baby spinach leaves:

DSCN2603  Top that with the warm tofu. This will help the spinach wilt slightly and soften:

DSCN2604 Next, top the tofu with the shredded cheese (or imitation cheese product) of your choice. I used reduced-fat sharp cheddar, as well as some chopped tomatoes:

DSCN2605 I also added some hot sauce (Valentina, in case you were wondering), then rolled it up into a rather messy burrito-type wrap:

DSCN2606 I brought Adam his wrap before I assembled my own, and by the time I got into the living room (where we eat, yes in front of the TV), his was almost gone! This is the sure sign that a dinner is good! Once I tried mine, I agreed: this was a great thing! After sitting a little bit after eating, I decided I needed a second wrap. See, I have this problem where I eat tiny little meals throughout the day, and they hold me over just fine, and then I get RAVENOUS in the evenings! So, my second wrap contained: Sabra hummus, spinach, tofu, hot sauce, and a little bit of cheese. QUITE GOOD ALSO!!! I really think hummus makes things better, much like bacon makes things better!

Operation “Really Cool Thing” will be here on Friday! I’m beyond excited, and the few of you that know about said “Really Cool Thing” seem to agree that its “really cool!” No hints other than that, you’ll just have to wait and see!

There’s no guest for dinner tonight either… could the next one be you? Send me an email at mara@imadedinner.net ! Tomorrow though, I’m having real guests for dinner!! Two foodie friends are coming over for a BBQ! HOORAY!

I’m off to try my ice cream, relax, and maybe go for an evening walk with Adam since it’s SO beautiful out!

Have a wonderful night!

This entry was posted in simple recipe, vegetarian and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Tofurrito!

1. brandi says:

i don’t know what the “really cool thing” is, but I can’t wait to find out!

free hummus? that’s awesome

brandi´s last blog post..Aching For Activity

2. Matt says:

I can’t believe I am saying this, but that tofurrito looks pretty good!

Matt´s last blog post..New Garmin

3. Your Tofuritto looks and sounds great! Can’t wait for Friday to find out about the really cool thing… 🙂 And have a great time tomorrow with your foodie friends!

4. Christina says:

We eat in front of the TV too – no dining room table! I use it for a desk and J put his computers (for video games with his friends) in the dining room! hehe 🙂

Christina´s last blog post..Roasted Veggie Cabbage Nests

5. That looks SO GOOD. And I love Sabra hummus!!!!!

Foodie McBody´s last blog post..The Café Didn’t Change; I Did

6. Melissa says:

I’d like to try tofu. But I doubt that’ll ever happen unless someone makes it for me…

Looks good though!

Melissa´s last blog post..This And That

7. Hallie says:

That looks amazing! I need to remember this combo (well, minus the cheese) because I’m so new to tofu and I need new ways to try it out 🙂

And I’ll say it once again: LOVE me some Twitter!!

Hallie´s last blog post..My Great Race and My Almost-Tow

8. Sharon says:

Hot sauce? Awesome idea!
    Mmmm tofurrito looks delicious! Hummus with tofu is love. LOL!

Sharon´s last blog post..Plenty of fruity love

9. mi says:

wow this looks DELISH!! even if tofu & cheese is a combination ilegal in japan haha!!

mi´s last blog post..a man’s perspective

10. As a tofu lover, I HAVE to try this! I’ve never thought to incorporate tofu into Mexican dishes before. This looks great, Mara!

Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog post..Worth the Weight? (05/19/09)

11. hummus does make everything better 😉 can’t wait to hear about the BBQ! 😉

12. coco says:

love this tofurrito!!! so easy!
    and horay for many sales for goodies! I need to get some wraps for next week lunch! 🙂
    have a nice day!

coco´s last blog post..Easy day 1 of the challenge & unexpected visit! ^_^

13. Rose says:

I will have to give this a try. Maybe tonight???

Rose´s last blog post..Breaking out the Surfboards (Oatmeal)

14. Krista says:

Great wrap!

Can’t wait to see what this exciting thing is on Friday!!

Krista´s last blog post..OUCH!!

15. Mara, I do the same thing at the store. If I am getting “only a few things” the next thing you know my basket weighs a thousand pounds because I keep throwing things in the basket!

Good finds though, and I love your wrap, what a quick dinner idea!

Jenn@slim-shoppin´s last blog post..A great day!+ Chicken breasts with feta cheese sauce!

16. I think your second wrap was a crack wrap…well done!

Sarah (lovINmytummy)´s last blog post..Party People In the House!

17. Love it! I’ve been searching high and low for tofu recipes because I have recently developed a love-affair with the stuff and can’t for the life of me figure out how to prepare it. Consider this one added to my list of things I will wolf down this week.

Wiggs (The Beholder)´s last blog post..Half-marathon training: Days 75, 76, & 77

18. Love your tofurrito!!!!

La Tortilla Factory wraps are the best!

Marisa (Trim The Fat)´s last blog post..Less Sucky

19. Yes, hummus always makes things better, and why is the coconut milk ice-cream NEVER on sale?!? Hope you enjoyed the cookie dough. I think the Mint Chip is my fav, 🙂

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter)´s last blog post..Mr. Coconut, Meet Mr. Cleaver

20. Jess says:

That looks great!

Let me know if you still want to do a guest post.

Jess´s last blog post..Daily Run: Crazy Jess and Robert James Waller

21. great idea! i love simple recipes! you had me at avocado….

Tyler (Raspberry Runner)´s last blog post..Nutrition Rant- What am I supposed to eat?!!

22. Holy cow you got some good deals! I need sales like that!

I got my free Sabra from Twitter, too! LOVE it!!

healthy ashley´s last blog post..Sabra LOVE

23. Pingback: 3 Girls and a Grill » What’s For Dinner?