Sister, Sister

So I mentioned yesterday that my sister, Leigh, was coming to do some baking adventures with some of the kids at school. She’s a pastry chef for Tru Restaurant here in Chicago, a place that is WAY beyond my budget! I was so excited to have her see where I work, and to meet bunches of my students… but little did I know what a blast we would have! Earlier in the day, around 11 a.m., Leigh arrived at my school and got to work making pate-a-choux, the doughy stuff used to make cream puffs and éclairs. We ate lunch (Subway!) and then I went off to teach my classes. Next thing I know, groups of kids are RUNNING down to my classroom SCREAMING “MISS O!!! Your sister is AWESOME!!!!!” They had so much fun in class today, and were so appreciative of the different type of lesson. After school, a select number of students stayed after school for a cupcake decorating and cream puff stuffing lesson. Here’s my sister in action: DSCN2470 The kids had so much fun and came out with some gorgeous cupcakes. I gotta say, too, it was really nice having my sister at work with me! We left school at about 4:30 and headed straight for Daruma for a non-Friday sushi dinner. It was Leigh’s first time at Daruma, so she pretty much told me “Order! I’ll eat whatever!” We started out with an asparagus beef maki, which was asparagus wrapped with very thin steak, covered in teriyaki sauce: DSCN2476 Food blogger nerd alert: in EACH of these pictures, both Leigh and I were poised with pieces of sushi or appetizer near our mouths and I said “NO WAIT!!! GOTTA TAKE A PICTURE!” I swear the sushi chefs thought I was nuts, and they know me! We continued with not one, not two, but THREE plates of sushi! Plate one had From top left, clockwise, a crazy roll with tuna, salmon, yellowtail, scallion, spicy sauce, and lettuce; a Jennifer roll, with tamago (egg), shiitake mushroom, shrimp, and then the whole thing was tempura fried, and a Harumaki, the best spicy tuna roll EVER! DSCN2478 Plate two contained only one roll, the Crunchy Roll. It is a roll with shrimp tempura on the inside, tempura crunchies on the outside, lots of masago (fish eggs) and a drizzle of eel sauce. DSCN2479Then, plate three was something really special. I asked the sushi chef to “surprise us” with a roll. He came up with this: DSCN2481DSCN2483 We aren’t exactly sure what was in it… but we think it was tuna, asparagus, cucumber, and then each piece was topped with a salad of imitation crab salad with red masago, radish sprouts, and a creamy ginger-miso dressing. We think. It was all SO INCREDIBLE! Thanks Daruma! Adam had mentioned that he wanted “just a taste” of sushi… I thought about bringing him just one piece of sushi, but I thought better of it and brought him his very own harumaki to the video game store since he’s working until 9:30 p.m. Then, we headed out to the one other place I love that my sister hadn’t been to…. any guesses? you sure?? Is that your final answer? Yup! You’re right! YOGEN FRÜZ!!! We found decent parking at the mall where the Früz is, and Leigh was kind of overwhelmed with the choices. She ended up with chocolate probiotic yogurt with cherries blended in. I got my usual: plain soft serve with strawberries, peaches, and mini chocolate chips: DSCN2484 It was such a fun day! I’m glad tomorrow is Thursday, that’s for sure, even though Adam works until 9:30 the rest of the week. Tomorrow *should* have a fun guest post, and then I’ll have a new guest for dinner on Friday! I’ve gotten a few responses about being a guest for dinner… but do YOU want to be a guest? Here’s what I’m looking for:
  • a short post outlining in some way what you ate for dinner. It can be a recipe, a description, a how-to, or a combination of all of those.
  • a photo of the meal! Everyone loves pictures!
  • What did you THINK of your meal? Would you eat it again? Does the recipe have a story?
And that’s it! You can email your guest dinners to mara@imadedinner.net and I’ll get them posted in the order in which they arrive. I’m looking forward to having LOTS of Guests for Dinner! … and I’m beat Have a great night!
This entry was posted in Asian, dinner out, family and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Sister, Sister

Yeah sushi! The beef & asparagus roll looks pretty awesome 🙂 I’m actually going for sushi tomorrow night! Yay!

Looks like you had a good day with your sister.

Marianne´s last blog post..Send And Receive

2. axor says:

my baby girls!!!
    I want fruzen gluzen too!!!

3. Matt says:

Mmmm… Sushi!

Matt´s last blog post..Speeding Up

4. Everything looks so awesome!

5. Pearl says:

oh mara it sounds like you and your sister and your students had a LOT of fun! oh my gosh – so cooking talent must run in the genes, huh? 🙂

Pearl´s last blog post..Almond Brittle

6. The rolls and the FroYo looks to die for!!!! YUMMERS!

TorontoGirloutWest´s last blog post..Lemon Power Bars/Balls – A Recipe

7. sue says:

omg those rolls look so amazing! i’ve been ignoring a sushi craving (in an effort to save some $) and this post did not help at all 🙂 glad u had a great time with ur sis!

sue´s last blog post..wacky wednesday

8. Christina says:

That beef wrapped asparagus looks delicious!

Christina´s last blog post..Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup

9. Becca A says:

I’m so jealous of your sister’s job!

Becca A´s last blog post..Real Quick

10. coco says:

your sister is a professional chef?? woooo….. so cool!!! and she’s so lovely~~~
    nice sushi dinner~~ yummy and pretty, I wouldn’t resist to not take pic of it!
    I’ll email you with a recipe~ 🙂

coco´s last blog post..Day 10: Don’t panic!

11. I didn’t think I’d find anyone who like sushi more than I do, but I think I have after reading your blog for a while now! I don’t have it often when I’m in England because the good stuff is in London. I miss it SO much and your blog always makes me salivate 😀

Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog post..Lemony Chickpea Stir-fry (101 Cookbooks)

12. Roni says:

LOVING the sushi post. Never saw a Maki and now I’m not scared to try one! Looks delish!

Roni´s last blog post..Makin’ Peppered Pork with Peppers

13. MizFit says:

how cool she is a pastry chef!!
    and I love me some sushi. SASHIMI when we have lunch??
    I shall work on winning the lottery first 🙂

(if you find it fits in your post today would you mind linking my yahoo post? Im trying to send traffic there http://tinyurl.com/d6b5m4 and feel free to delete this comment if you want 🙂 Im not a big fan of leaving links in people’s comments…)

MizFit´s last blog post..VeggieGirl!

14. Sophia says:

I am drooling like a starving dog! oh my god! what incredible color and textures! you were smart to ask the sushi chef to “surprise” you. next time I hit a sushi bar, I’m gonna cozy up to my sushi chef like no other!

Sophia´s last blog post..A small teaser-preview…

15. Krista says:

That’s great that your sis was able to come work with the kids! That’s the kind of stuff my kids love at school!

All the sushi looks wonderful!

Krista´s last blog post..Tick Tock…..

16. Man oh man! It has been too many weeks since I’ve had sushi on my plate!! I’m drooling big time!

I’m glad you got to share the day with your sister. It sounds like the kiddos loved it too!

Nicole (Sweetie Pie)´s last blog post..Wacky Taco Wednesday

17. brandi says:

how fun having your sister there!

that frozen yogurt and the beef/asparagus roll look awesome!

brandi´s last blog post..Return of the Green Monster

18. Danielle says:

Cooking with kids is the best 🙂

Danielle´s last blog post..Bon appetit

19. Mmmm, I love frozen yogurt!!

How great your sister came in to hang with the kids 🙂

healthy ashley´s last blog post..I’m Back

20. YEA! Thanks for the blog love! Creating the new site was harder than I thought….and there were a handful of you that had your own that I thought were amazing! Like yours!

Goodbadandugly2´s last blog post..Ta Da!

• Mara @ What's For Dinner? says:

Goodbadandugly2: THANKS!!!
      Rose: Whenever you can get to it would be awesome! I’d love to have one of your fun posts!

21. Rose says:

Fun times with your sista 🙂

I would like to guest post at some point. Need to find some time first 🙂 Once I have a good meal brewing, can I email you?

Rose´s last blog post..The 2nd Annual Berry Berry Beauty Pageant

22. Hangry Pants says:

I love that you brought your sister into the classroom to teach the kids something fun. I think cooking and especially baking are awesome ways to teach kids about math and science.

Also, how cool is it that that’s your sister’s job!!!!

Hangry Pants´s last blog post..She Says: Blogger Summit Survey

23. Wow, what a great day with your sister coming to your class!

And TRU is a little out of my price range too!! :0)

Jenn@slim-shoppin´s last blog post..Taco Soup

24. wow, your sister has a cool job!

Oh wow, I love SUSHI!!!! and steak sushi?!?? how unique! i’d love to try that! everything looks delicious 🙂

Tyler (Raspberry Runner)´s last blog post..Raspberry Spelt Scones

25. MacBros says:

That asparagus beef maki looks so yummie! I would probably drop the Teriakie sauce though. I think that stuff is better on chicken. An A-1 sauce or sweet BBQ would be better IMO.

MacBros´s last blog post..The Economy Effecting AdSense?

26. Pingback: Alice Waters & Green City Market Recap » What’s For Dinner?

27. eatingbender says:

You and your sis must have had such a great time 🙂 I love how you stopped everything to take a picture! All of the sushi looks amazing. I also pretty much have to have yogen fruz ASAP, or I’ll go crazy. Not really, but I do have a massive craving!

eatingbender´s last blog post..Honey Kix: Kid Tested, Bender Approved!

28. Pingback: Out of My Element | What's For Dinner?