Friday, Sushi Friday

Adam and I had been planning on a dinner at our sushi place this Friday for the past week and a half. Sushi Friday has been something that’s gone by the wayside with the economy the way its been, but we planned and budgeted and we were SO EXCITED! I was a good food blogger this time and took multiple pictures throughout dinner, including one especially dedicated to my friend Biz… see if you can figure out which one. It’s pretty obvious 🙂

And now… Sushi Friday…

IN PICTURES!

I didn’t manage to get a picture of the entry way, but when we walked in, the maitre-d and a favorite server of ours greeted us, and seated us at the sushi bar.

I've always loved their pink napkins!

I've always loved their pink napkins!

We ordered our appetizer, agedashi tofu, and even though it came after the sushi, I’m putting it first. Agedashi tofu is a lightly fried medium-firm tofu in a soy broth, and ours was topped with tiny mushrooms:

This was one of 4 pieces in a large bowl.

This was one of 4 pieces in a large bowl.

We noticed that there was a new condiment on the counter tonight, presumably for the Japanese spaghetti they serve there. It’s a simple sauce made of ketchup and fish roe, and served with parmesan cheese and this:

(from left) Tabasco, soy sauce, sansyo (Japanese hot pepper), toothpicks

(from left) Tabasco, soy sauce, sansyo (Japanese hot pepper), toothpicks

Soon, our sushi came! Adam got an assorted tray of rolls and nigiri:

(top row, from left) tamago (egg), tobiko (flying fish egg), ebi (shrimp), maguro (tuna) (Bottom Row from left) Harumaki, Philly roll

And I got something called “Chiriashi Sushi” which is slices of raw fish on top of nori and rice.

(back to front) tuna, yellowtail, salmon

(back to front) tuna, yellowtail, salmon

We had some good conversation with the sushi chefs, and then decided to head to a neighborhood bar for a drink. I got ONE martini with a lovely combination of coffee liquor, vodka, and a touch of cream… and it went STRAIGHT to my head! I really don’t drink much. On my way to the bathroom, I ran into an old friend of mine (Hi Sandra, if you’re reading!), and we laughed and talked so much that my face hurts!

Tomorrow is Weigh In Day, and I’m going to try to keep my positive attitude I’ve had all week. I’ve eaten well, paid attention to my satiety levels, and exercised away almost 1500 calories! Even if I maintain or gain this week, I know I’ve been good to my body.

Make sure you come back tomorrow for “Cute Food Saturday”, and also be sure to visit my favorite fitness guru, MizFit, for a fantastic Granola Giveaway (and to read her stuff, she’s awesome and has arms like we all wish we had!)

Have a great evening, and happy weekend!

xoxo,

This entry was posted in Asian, dinner out, weight loss and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Friday, Sushi Friday

1. laura says:

missing sushi! lucky dog-love ya

laura´s last blog post..Frugal Fridays

2. Biz says:

HECK YA TO TABASCO!

Thanks Mara!!

Biz´s last blog post..I flew too close to the sun . . .

3. Fit Mommy says:

Hi, Clicked over from Mz.

Love sushi..missing it now after reading this post!

Fit Mommy´s last blog post..Got Spring Fever!!

4. I LOVE sushi and yours looks fabulous! Its been way too long since Ive had any. Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow!!

Elizabeth (thelongweigh)´s last blog post..Backtrack and Binge

I think I just drooled on the keyboard a bit. I love me some sushi! And that looks like some mighty fine sushi. Agedashi tofu is one of my favourite “other” dishes to order as well. I love the crispy exterior and the creamy insides. It’s tofu nirvana!

Marianne´s last blog post..Friday Festivities

6. coco says:

horay for sushi night! the weather is getting warm and my appetite for sushi is coming back! 😀

coco´s last blog post..A week from the trip~ ^_^

7. Becca A says:

I tried for sushi last night but it was dismissed!yours lookf great!

8. VeggieGirl says:

Gorgeous eats!!

Good luck with weigh-in day, dear Mara – stay positive and confident!!

VeggieGirl´s last blog post..Spring Break Baking Bonanza: Blondies & Banana Bread

9. Sophia says:

I just absolutely LOVE japanese food! you should try the japanese pasta! they are good, too! love that tofu!

Sophia´s last blog post..Penang Recap

10. eatingbender says:

I must try this sushi place! I love that you took detailed pictures this time. Everything looks so delicious, even though, as you know, the raw fish thing is still new to me. If we ever go to this place together, I promise that I will try it 🙂 Maybe for our field trip after spring break?! Haha, we have to include a lunch or dinner in there, you know!!

“Even if I maintain or gain this week, I know I’ve been good to my body.”

Very well said! You certainly have been treating yourself well, and creating fantastic meals, as always! I just noticed all the updates you’ve been making and have to say, your blog is looking pretty freakin’ FABULOUS!!

Have an awesome weekend!!

eatingbender´s last blog post..Honey, Ah Sugar Sugar

11. “Even if I maintain or gain this week, I know I’ve been good to my body.”–That must feel great to say, bravo to you!

Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog post..A Little Break

12. carolinebee says:

i totally agree, i miss my sushi nights so much! My mom and I used to go all the time, and last time it was like 30 bucks for TWO of us :O…so now we’re stickin with Chipotle..still good!

carolinebee´s last blog post..A Snack by the Bay

13. glidingcalm says:

goodness. i saw the Sushi Throwdown with Bobby Flay on food network today, and after THAT and THIS I am getting serious cravings.

yummmmmmmmmm