Chicken Tomato Fettucine

This has been a heck of a week! It's the last week of the grading period at work, so I've been super busy getting all the stacks of papers I have graded and entered into my gradebook. On top of that, it's State Testing week, so my class periods are only 25 minutes long instead of 47 minutes... needless to say, it's been crazy! I was beyond excited to go to Jazzercise today to work off some of my end-of-term aggravation.

Calories Burned: 665

Max. HR: 182

Avg. HR: 157

I came home and threw dinner together: simple, aromatic, and delicious! I used what I had on hand, and of course, you could adjust this recipe to your own taste.

It really is kind of all the same color...

It really is kind of all the same color...

Chicken Tomato Fettucine

Ingredients 1 small onion, chopped fine 1 green pepper, chopped 2 c. frozen broccoli 3 chicken breasts 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 32-oz. can tomato sauce 1 tbsp. basil paste 1 lb. whole wheat fettucine 2 c. water 1 Tbsp. olive oil Directions Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions, garlic, and green peppers, and sautee until softened. Add the chicken and frozen broccoli, then the tomato sauce. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, until the chicken is done. Remove the chicken and chop into small pieces, and return the chicken to the pot. Add the water and pasta, and cook, uncovered until the pasta is done.Stir in basil paste (may be substituted for fresh chopped basil). Serve! I topped our servings with the leftover basil goat cheese from our burgers last night and stirred it in for a very creamy dish. I'm quite a fan of this dinner, and I'm sure some permutation of it will show up again soon! When I got home today, there was another package on the counter! It was from the lovely Hallie at Healthy Twists!! She sent me a thank-you package for making her blog header, and it was full of quite possibly the most delicious low-fat brownies I've ever had! I MUST GET THAT RECIPE!!!! (That's a subtle hint, Hallie 🙂 ) I was doing some thinking today... and I realized that this is the 4th time this week that I haven't gone back for seconds on dinner even though my head wanted them. I'm really working on paying attention to what my stomach is actually feeling instead of what my head wants. I'm finding that when I think I want seconds of dinner, I'm usually thirsty. If I actually get hungry later, I'll make some hot cereal with peanut butter and its far more satisfying! These are HUGE STRIDES! In blog news: I'm working on re-doing my recipe site! I'll leave the current page up until the new one is done, but pretty soon, all recipes will be categorized and alphabetized! It will make it a lot easier to find the recipes you need. Happy almost Friday! xoxo,
This entry was posted in chicken/turkey, Italian, simple recipe and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Chicken Tomato Fettucine

1. I love how you added the goat cheese on top of your dish. I love food-creativity!

And good job n you calorie-scorching workout!

healthy ashley´s last blog post..How Do You Flax?

2. VeggieGirl says:

Great workout and dish!!

VeggieGirl´s last blog post..Episode 6 of VeggieGirl TV: News & Reviews

3. Rose says:

Loving your recipes, Mara. Keep ’em coming 🙂

Rose´s last blog post..My Day? Bad News Bears

4. Biz says:

That looks really good – I LOVE goat cheese!!!

Hang in there with grading papers! 😀

Biz´s last blog post..Southern Comfort! Pork Barbecue and Skillet Corn Bread

5. Hallie says:

Glad you liked them! I gave my boyfriend (the one who “doesn’t like chocolate”…sure) the last two. I know, I’m selfless 🙂

That dinner looks awesome! Great job on listening to your tummy over your head…I know that’s tough sometimes.

Hallie´s last blog post..Learning to Love Me: Weight Loss Pt. 2

6. Sounds like a great workout; jazzercise… Have actually never done that.. I don’t think we have that in our area. Anyway; I have to be off to my spinning class now… Burn some calories for the heavy italian meal we have planned with friends tonight!! You’re recipe sounds wonderfull too!

Simone (junglefrog)´s last blog post..Warm potatoe salad with bacon and blue cheese

Good on you for listening to your hunger cues and not what your brain says.

Marianne´s last blog post..Perfectly Pureed Pizza Party

8. coco says:

great that you’re adopting intuitive eating! 😀

coco´s last blog post..tiger hunger came and stayed! ^_^

9. MizFit says:

let me know when the new site is up—-Ill link it!

MizFit´s last blog post..MixMyGranola.com Giveaway.

10. Krista says:

Great jazzercise class and dinner!

I find leaving the kitchen as soon as I’m done eating prevents me from going back for more. I also dish out the food away from the table, so there are never pots of food sitting there beckoning me.

Krista´s last blog post..A Day of Indulgences

11. Mara, the leftover basil goat cheese looks like it made the perfect topping!

I am the same way at night…I ALWAYS eat something sweet after dinner, even if it’s my head that wants it rather than my stomach. I need to back off and wait a while before making a dessert to see if I’m really hungry. I will say that oat bran/nut butter is my favorite post dinner combo. It’s perfectly warm and filling.

Way to listen to your body. I’m working on it.

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter)´s last blog post..Bind What? Are You Serious?

• Mara @ What's For Dinner? says:

@Heather McD I’m loving the oat bran/nut butter combo too!!
      @Krista Leaving the kitchen is great, but it doesn’t help that its only oh, 6 steps away from the living room!

12. Pingback: Shrimp and Veggie Stir-Fry With Rice Noodles » What’s For Dinner?